Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with understanding RFC service record

Mea

I am researching my great uncle Albert Frederick Jackson who was transferred from the labour corps into the RFC. I would like to find out where he was posted, his record says to unit 5AP?

I think AP is aircraft park but I cannot find any information about where this might be.

He was a carpenter and joiner. His record says he was in France.

Many thanks 

72217810-BABD-4E40-B632-7454DB3A67BA.jpeg

As at the Armistice, 11 November 1918, the 5th Aircraft Park was located at Wevelghem, a short distance west of Courtrai; at present I have no record of when the unit moved there from Herzeele.

Graeme

5 Aircraft Park was formed by 2.2.18 in 2nd Brigade at HERZEELE; 13.4.18 ARNEKE to at least 18.9.18; by 15.11.18 WEVELGHEM; Disbanded 22.1.19.

(Source: RAF Training and Support Units since 1912 by Ray Sturtivant)

Errol

RD E/ sec, I think, stands for E Section at RAF Depot, Blandford, though I do not know what the E actually stands for. I have sometimes seen reference to an O (Officers or Observers?) Section there, so there may well have been multiple sections within the Depot, especially given the large number of RAF personnel were being demobbed and/or repatriated there post-war.

Errol

18 hours ago, Errol Martyn said:

for E Section at RAF Depot, Blandford,

A guess but could be Equipment as in Equipment & Personnel Depot, Blandford ?

"Recruit Depot 'E' Section ?? "

Recurits Depot (South Farnborough) was retitled Reserve Depot (Farnborough - but moved to Blandford 7 Mar 18) 15 Jan 18, and became RAF Depot (Blandford) 1 Apr 18. 

Errol