Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service record VH Huskisson 5th PWC Dragoons - education and training question

wibs

I have the following entry on a great-grandads WW1 record, Victor Harold Huskisson b.1890. I already have quite a lot of info on both his civilian and military life and am just looking for some specific info re his training / education please.

Known info to give context to question....... he was orphaned in 1900 aged 10 years, was at the St Josiah Mason orphanage in Birmingham in 1901, enlisted in the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1909 in Dublin, is on the 1911 census at the Curragh Barracks where the Dragoons were stationed, married in Dublin 1913, was part of the BEF which landed in France mid-August 1914 with 5th (PWC) Dragoons, was injured at Messines 31/10/14 and discharged in 1915.

Specific questions re the below clip from his records:
  1. Do the typewritten notes re the Duke of York Military School and Royal Hibernian Military School mean he definitely attended either one, both or maybe even neither of these?
  2. What do the handwritten notes re 3rd Class Dublin and 2nd Class Curragh indicate?

Many thanks,

Paul

Huskisson VH.jpg

No idea about the schooling, but my guess on the Education Certificates might just be the geographical location of where he took them.

Incidentally, probably a typo, but it's the 5th Prince of Wales's Own Dragoon Guards - not Dragoons. Although there was no real difference between Dragoon Guards and Dragoons by 1914, there was a huge degree of snobbishness, and DGs did not take kindly to being confused with Dragoons (a very inferior class of person).

49 minutes ago, wibs said:

Do the typewritten notes re the Duke of York Military School and Royal Hibernian Military School mean he definitely attended either one, both or maybe even neither of these?

That is a standard script pre-printed on the form.  The lack of an entry means he didn't attend any of the places listed.

51 minutes ago, wibs said:

What do the handwritten notes re 3rd Class Dublin and 2nd Class Curragh indicate?

These are where he sat and passed his examinations, which seems to tie in with his postings.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Hi Steve.... much appreciated.  It was just a typo / me using what it turns out is an inappropriate shorthand.... didn't know about the DG v Dragoons thing, so thank you.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated.  Hope you don't mind a  follow up question...do you know what the 3rd and 2nd class represented I.e. were they academic certifications / military grades / military trade levels etc? I know he was promoted to Lance Corporal if that's relevant? Cheers,

Paul

The Certificates of Education were intended to give blokes who joined up with very little formal schooling a degree of education in order to progress their careers. Basic literacy in the beginning, becoming progressively more advanced. I believe promotion was unavailable without (I am not 100%) at least a Second Class Certificate. You will find that many regimental Gazettes of the period will list recipients: in many ways, the education of other ranks was seen as being as important as success in musketry or sports.

7 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The Certificates of Education were intended to give blokes who joined up with very little formal schooling a degree of education in order to progress their careers. Basic literacy in the beginning, becoming progressively more advanced. I believe promotion was unavailable without (I am not 100%) at least a Second Class Certificate. You will find that many regimental Gazettes of the period will list recipients: in many ways, the education of other ranks was seen as being as important as success in musketry or sports.

8 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The Certificates of Education were intended to give blokes who joined up with very little formal schooling a degree of education in order to progress their careers.

That's not quite correct. All men enlisting in the ranks were required to take the certificates, irrespective of their civilian educational standard. In more recent times , some of my RE colleagues had degrees but had to complete their certificates.

TR