Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Joseph Victor Witherspoon. DLI; 9 Loyal North Lancashire and Suffolk Regiment

ia_osborne

I am after some help piecing together when my Great Grandfather could have served in WW1.  He would have been 18 on 5th October 1917 photos in basic training (unknown location/ year) show he is wearing a DLI cap badge.  His medal card only states he served with 9th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and 12th Suffolk Regiment.

Photo 1.  Front Row, 4th from left (centre).  He is holding a Swagger Stick, does this mean anything?

Photo 2. Middle Row 3rd from left (cigarette in mouth :-))

After looking through the diaries I can see that the 9th LNLR took a beating during the later of the Spring Offensive and I can also see when he may have been moved to the Suffolks from their diaries.

He was 29498 Pte in 9th LNLR & 57491 in the Suffolks

I am wondering why it was not mentioned he was in the DLI and why he changed numbers so quickly.  Any information would help.  After all my research I am just trying to put him in a location!  

His elder brother was killed in March 1918, the 2nd eldest served as a Lt in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and he also lost another brother in WW2 (pilot).  It has been fascinating.

Joseph Victor Witherspoon.pdf

Edited by ia_osborne

I am wondering why it was not mentioned he was in the DLI and why he changed numbers so quickly.  Any information would help.  After all my research I am just trying to put him in a location!  

When he landed in France he was either already with the North Lancs or he was posted very soon after landing.

The medal index card only shows units that were relevant for medal purposes and the DLI was not relevant to that.

Craig

I understand the swagger stick was compulsory when walking out (of barracks) so nothing to be read into is presence on this photo. The 2nd photo has a couple of men who appear to have goatee beards and hats that are either service caps worn backwards or something else entirely. Another displays an entrenching tool with writing on the blade (IRON ?). I can't work out what the two long handled devices are in the foreground, with a number of towels in evidence I wonder if they are outside a bath house or camp laundry. Perhaps the two tools are for stirring washing on a large scale. I do likely oddities on old photos.

Simon

P.S. The sergeant looks about 12.

Edited by mancpal

The two photos will most certainly have been taken at Bramshott Camp in Hampshire ,undergoing training with the D.L.I prior to posting

Ray

To Sadbrewer,  that is amazing! Thank you so much.  that is my family.  Victor was my Great grandfather.  Thank you so much for finding this it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

27 minutes ago, ia_osborne said:

To Sadbrewer,  that is amazing! Thank you so much.  that is my family.  Victor was my Great grandfather.  Thank you so much for finding this it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Ian it could well be worth you taking a short subscription to the British Newspaper Archive...or through Findmypast....there are quite a number of articles or references to the Witherspoon clan. Whilst I haven't researched the connections there are a number of adverts for Witherspoon fruiterers and Joseph Victor Witherspoon's political career.