Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which Highland Regiment is it?

Mikhail

Hello everyone, 

please help to define which Highland regiment is on the attached photo. 

Sporrans with 3 white tassels look like 6th HLI, but probably not horse hairs but leather, Tartan is not MacKenzie, diced glengarrys.

I am in confusion...

Thanks in advance!

regards,

Mikhail

Regiment.jpg

Greetings Mikhail and welcome to GWF.  I suspect we might be looking at a CEF Battalion with an A&SH affiliation here ....... rest assured someone who is an expert on these matters will be along shortly to pin it down 100%.  Ian

Edited by TullochArd

Hi Ian! 

great to hear you again! Thanks for your answer...

to be honest, I have never saw such type of sporrans with 3 short white tassels, exlude HLI.

And look how young are those Highlanders?

maybe some cadet unit?

will wait more experts opinions...

regards,

Mikhail

....... or a dressed up version of 1/9th (Highlanders) Battalion Royal Scots leather sporran?  The beauty of the GWF is that someone, somewhere knows!  

3 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

....... or a dressed up version of 1/9th (Highlanders) Battalion Royal Scots leather sporran?  

definitely not, 9th Royal Scots wore black/red hoses and different sporrans...

9 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

definitely not, 9th Royal Scots wore black/red hoses and different sporrans...

..... and right you are.

The apparent ages of the 'soldiers' as well as their hose tops, sporran pattern, kilts - all seem a good match for those worn by Daniel Stewart's College (junior) OTC, Edinburgh.

They also appear to be wearing Royal Scots cap badges which would also be correct.

Formed in 1913 and officially known as 'C Company, 1st (Highland) Cadet Battalion, Royal Scots.

DSC.jpg

DSC3.jpg

DSC2.jpg

DSC4.jpg

Edited by Ron Abbott

Thanks a lot, Ron!

What tartan they wore?

Do you have more detailed photos or description of their sporrans?

Edited by Mikhail

25 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

Thanks a lot, Ron!

What tartan they wore?

Do you have more detailed photos or description of their sporrans?

They wore Hunting Stewart tartan and still do today (as the amalgamated Erskine Stewart's Melville CCF).  

I was in the CCF at the school from about 1977 at which time we pipers in the Pipes & Drums also wore Hunting Stewart kilts and plaids although that was later changed to Royal Stewart.  But the drummers and buglers still wore the Hunting Stewart. 

Of course when your photo was taken, there may have been other school OTC/JTCs in Edinburgh which wore the same uniform but it's certainly correct for Daniel Stewarts.  I don't recognise the location.  I'm fairly certain that it's not at the school, however if you read through the old school magazines there is mention of a good few inspections being carried out elsewhere in Edinburgh.  

Edited by Ron Abbott

Thanks a lot for the information and beautiful additional photos, Ron!

Edited by Mikhail

3 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

The apparent ages of the 'soldiers' as well as their hose tops, sporran pattern, kilts - all seem a good match for those worn by Daniel Stewart's College (junior) OTC, Edinburgh.

They also appear to be wearing Royal Scots cap badges which would also be correct.

Formed in 1913 and officially known as 'C Company, 1st (Highland) Cadet Battalion, Royal Scots.

Brilliant spot Ron!  I seem to recall that young Cadet R Das later became famous in India, but I can’t remember if it was as a cricketer, or politician?

I agree with everything said so far. This does look like a junior OTC and probably Daniel Stewart's.

Has anyone noticed that on the left of the original photo the officer is carrying a colour. Is this any help in identifying the unit and the place?

RM

Edited by rolt968

3 hours ago, Mikhail said:

did the cadet units carry colours?

Some of them definitely did.  Often presented and paid for by local aristocracy.