Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension card interpretation

Stevejm

Referring to the below pension card can anyone tell me what the meaning of Tram Res  ( or does it say Indian Res?). I know he served in India. Any other useful information on the card? Thanks in anticipation. Note that the "Dead" 7/7/24 entry is an error because he actually passed in 1949. I know from his medal roll entry that he was put in Z reserve on his discharge on 1/5/19

Steve

Pension recrd card.jpg

Edited by Stevejm
correction

Hi Stevejm, the 'I' in Somerset Light Infantry is very similar to the first letter in what could be 'Indian' and considering Samuel served in the 1 F.S.G. (Foreign Service Garrison) Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry who were posted to India it could well be as you suggest... alternatively, considering he suffered from a Fractured Fibula, Malaria and Pleurisy could he have been posted back to a 'Training Reserve'?

Edited by Gunner 87

4 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Referring to the below pension card can anyone tell me what the meaning of Tram Res  ( or does it say Indian Res?). I know he served in India. Any other useful information on the card? Thanks in anticipation. Note that the "Dead" 7/7/24 entry is an error because he actually passed in 1949. I know from his medal roll entry that he was put in Z reserve on his discharge on 1/5/19

Steve

Pension recrd card.jpg

The  'dead' part isn't an error. It means that the claim was dead, this might be because a man died but could be for any number of other reasons.

Craig

18 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The  'dead' part isn't an error. It means that the claim was dead, this might be because a man died but could be for any number of other reasons.

Craig

Thanks Craig. That explains it. 

Edited by Stevejm
Correction

HI

I would agree with Training Reserve - it says Train. Res.

regards

Robert

5 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Stevejm, the 'I' in Somerset Light Infantry is very similar to the first letter in what could be 'Indian' and considering Samuel served in the 1 F.S.G. (Foreign Service Garrison) Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry who were posted to India it could well be as you suggest... alternatively, considering he suffered from a Fractured Fibula, Malaria and Pleurisy could he have been posted back to a 'Training Reserve'?

Thanks. Looking at it again I think the second letter looks more like an "r" than an "n" comparing it to the address written in the same pen so training would make sense. He received disability until 1924 so it would appear that the broken leg was not a minor fracture

3 minutes ago, rksimpson said:

HI

I would agree with Training Reserve - it says Train. Res.

regards

Robert

Thanks that makes sense. I presume that the training reserve would be back in England.

On 22/03/2021 at 05:27, Stevejm said:

Thanks. Looking at it again I think the second letter looks more like an "r" than an "n" comparing it to the address written in the same pen so training would make sense. He received disability until 1924 so it would appear that the broken leg was not a minor fracture

Thanks that makes sense. I presume that the training reserve would be back in England.

Hi Stevejm, yes, the Training Reserve were UK based. There are a number of useful articles regarding these units on the LLT

5 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Stevejm, yes, the Training Reserve were UK based. There are a number of useful articles regarding these units on the LLT

Thanks. My understanding is that the Garrison battalions were not front line units and given the progression from 2nd North Staffs to 1 F.S.G SLI to Training Battalion in UK he may have been taken ill or wounded with  2 NS, transferred to SLI then taken ill again then sent back to UK to join the Training Battalion. Does this sound plausible?

Units on the Medals Rolls are listed in chronological order so we know that Samuel was transferred to the reserve from the Somerset Light Infantry. It seems highly plausible, given his age and that he was suffering / convalescing from a fractured fibula, malaria and pleurisy, that he was temporarily attached to the Training Reserve. 

24 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Units on the Medals Rolls are listed in chronological order so we know that Samuel was transferred to the reserve from the Somerset Light Infantry. It seems highly plausible, given his age and that he was suffering / convalescing from a fractured fibula, malaria and pleurisy, that he was temporarily attached to the Training Reserve. 

Then discharged to Z reserve on 1/5/19 and paid a pension/disability until 1922 when he received a Terminal Gratuity? 

Edited by Stevejm
correction

29 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Then discharged to Z reserve on 1/5/19 and paid a pension/disability until 1922 when he received a Terminal Gratuity? 

Yes.

Craig