Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Roll Query - Life Guard

GJW

Hopefully someone can answer these queries for me?

1) Is the date in Red on far left - his date of leaving service?

image.png.233d5fbd9df48b1a8ac68e06218e7808.png

2) I cant seem to find his SWB roll even though it is quoted on the MIC below? I have a civilian document to say he was in service in 1925 - so maybe he never took it up and stayed in? Is this possible?

image.png.2677665727fcc91f452278df6b41130f.png

Thanks,

Gerard

Edited by GJW
Addition

• GJW changed the title to Medal Roll Query - Life Guard

Officers had to apply for their medals 

So most likely to be the date he applied for his medals

which is normally shown on their  Medal Index Cards

check out his MIC and see if the date corresponds

Yes they do Ray and thank you - solves that one. Bummer :)

21 minutes ago, GJW said:

Is the date in Red on far left - his date of leaving service?

the "19.12.23"

That's when his medals were sent to him - see the "iv" [Issue Voucher reference]

:-) M

Cheer M. Every day a school day with me :)

29 minutes ago, GJW said:

I cant seem to find his SWB roll even though it is quoted on the MIC below?

Find My Past seem to have a 1918 SWB Roll [for a David Telford] - but I can't access to see if it is your chap.

:-) M

Not seeing a SWB for him on Ancestry. Despite what the MIC says there's no reference to a roll, simply that he was eligible for one. The 36654/5 looks more like a file reference regarding the SWB.

Quite often Officers' MICs have the SWB eligible noted but no reference to an issuing roll. I think he did not apply for it.

TEW

Thanks TEW. I tend to agree. I also have a boarding Manifest for a transalantic liner saying he was an army officer in 1923. So suggesting he stayed in...

Just looking on the forum and there's suggestion that 'SWB eligible' was added to cards when an officer resigned due to ill health. Is he in the London Gazette as such?

Other officers' cards for wounded simply give a roll reference. Although I did find one that has the eligible part and then updated to show a roll number when he applied for it two months later.

If he was still in uniform he couldn't have worn it anyway, civvy clothes only.

TEW

2 hours ago, TEW said:

Just looking on the forum and there's suggestion that 'SWB eligible' was added to cards when an officer resigned due to ill health. Is he in the London Gazette as such?

He is indeed in the Gazette as resigning due to ill health, London Gazette #30742, 12 June 1918, P.6993... https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30742/supplement/6993

"Res. Regts. of Household Cav.- Temp. Lt. D. A. Telford relinquishes his commn. on account of ill-health, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. 13th June 1918."

Steve

Edited by SteveE

In that case perhaps the below simply names him with his honorary rank title and he wasn't still serving in 1923?

3 hours ago, GJW said:

Thanks TEW. I tend to agree. I also have a boarding Manifest for a transalantic liner saying he was an army officer in 1923. So suggesting he stayed in...

I've wondered about officers and the SWB Eligible annotation due to resigning.  Most that come up on forum have no SWB issued. I wonder if it was thought bad form to have one under the circumstances.

TEW

Thanks SteveE, quite the relvelation and appreciated.

Gerard

19 hours ago, TEW said:

In that case perhaps the below simply names him with his honorary rank title and he wasn't still serving in 1923?

I've wondered about officers and the SWB Eligible annotation due to resigning.  Most that come up on forum have no SWB issued. I wonder if it was thought bad form to have one under the circumstances.

TEW

Cheers TEW - much appreciated and the LG was a good steer. He stated Army officer in 1923 so must have been dining out on his rank :)