Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. A. C. - what does it stand for?

michaeldr

This question has been raised by a friend, who is sure what he is reading in A.A.C (and not A.A.G.)

I understand that the context is "A.A.C. Intelligence Staff"

Auxiliary Ammunition Column is the best that Google can do and it sounds way off for Intelligence Staff ;)

Has any body got any ideas please?

Thanks

Michael

If the 'C' is correct, then 'Corps' is a leading candidate

I understand that this comes from an account by someone who served in 'signals' and who should therefore have known what he was talking about

However, if it's a private account, then I suppose that there is always the possibility that it represents some sort of personal shorthand :unsure:

Michael

Peter Liddle in his 'The Gallipoli Experience Reconsidered' cites A.A.C Intelligence 'Surrender of Turkish Troops' as an IWM source.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo Correction

Well done Dave; many thanks indeed.

I see that it refers to (p.69)

"An Army leaflet [footnote - A.A.C. Intelligence Staff, Surrender of Turkish Troops, Imperial War Museum] gave information for this eventuality."

We'll follow that up pronto

Thanks again

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

33 minutes ago, Chris_Baker said:

The document says AAG

Scan2021-04-03_130318.jpg.3ef10b327a2b53da254e7c379bcc4fcc.jpg

On 22/03/2021 at 12:14, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Peter Liddle in his 'The Gallipoli Experience Reconsidered' cites A.A.C Intelligence 'Surrender of Turkish Troops' as an IWM source.

That certainly looks to me like a G after the second A

Strange that both Peter Liddle and my enquirer should think a C was typed instead. [It makes one wonder if this is indeed the document referred to by the latter?]

Thanks for the in-put here, which shall be passed on

Which would make it Assistant Adjutant-General, which would make more sense.???????  (or Advocate General).   I am sure there is a Ph.D.Thesis in War Studies at Wolverhampton in the offing on this one.........  "The Typing Error and it's Effect on the Conduct of the First World War".   Thereafter published by Pen and Sword or Helion.... As if

22 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Serialised in the Grauniad ?

Not even in jest dear boy-by chance there is an article in today's Grauniad that is severely irritating me. You can have a guess what it is.

Assistant Adjutant General is correct. His was the staff branch responsible for ‘Intelligence’ at that time.

Edited by FROGSMILE