Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery, XXX Brigade - Questions

zalipie

Hi,

I am trying to follow a gunner's way through WW1 but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the structure of the RFA.

The man I am researching is Sergeant Harry CHESNEY who might have joined the RFA ca 1902 or 1903. According to his MIC Coporal CHESNEY, No. 16936, disembarked in France with XXX Brigade RFA on 19 August, 1914, and is entitled to the 1914-Star-Trio with 1914 Bar.

I do not have CHESNEY's Service Papers and my only official information about his service is in his MIC and the fact he was awarded the Army LS&GC Medal in 1921. So I am trying to deduce his active service and later life from there.

Is it correct to assume the man has fought in the earlier and later battles the 3rd Infantry Division has taken part in?

Is there a way to find out in which Artillery Brigade or Battery the man served after the re-structuring of the RFA in 1916?

Kind regards

zalipie

Harry Chesney enlisted in London on May 6, 1901 at the age of 18 years and 1 month. He was a butcher by trade, born in Chertsey. He served in France 1914 - 1916 and Egypt 1919 - 1920. He was discharged at Larkhill on August 21, 1922 having been renumbered with Army No. 1031523 and allowed to serve beyond 21 years.

Source: Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942 (Findmypast)

30th Brigade RFA of 3rd Division was broken up on May 14, 1916 to the other brigades in the division. It is interesting there seems to be a gap in overseas service including 1917 and 1918. He may have returned home to train others due to his experience.

• 4 weeks later...