Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trying to get my wife’s Great Grandfathers Medals

JoeBirt

Long shot. This is the only photo I have. My wife’s great grandfather’s medals have gone missing (presumed stolen). If I can find his regiment I may be able to get his records

Taken 1915

49CFC5E8-FF6B-4656-80D9-3647CC450E24.jpeg

9B986C57-C19D-41E6-A41B-9F65AF749957.jpeg

Edited by JoeBirt

• JoeBirt changed the title to Trying to get my wife’s Great Grandfathers Medals

A bit more (some!) information would be helpful, surely you must have a name.

• Admin

He's I think Cheshire Regiment, in a pioneer battalion. 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Thank you. 

Impressed with the speed of replies. 

• Admin

There's good advice about researching soldiers contained in the Long Long Trail website, linked from this forum. 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

There's good advice about researching soldiers contained in the Long Long Trail website, linked from this forum. 

Thank you

• Admin

As the original is blurred, the cap badge could be Cheshire, Worcesters or East Yorks. I await the real experts. 

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

As the original is blurred, the cap badge could be Cheshire, Worcesters or East Yorks. I await the real experts. 

Thanks

He was born in Staffordshire. 

54 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I'm with you .......the collar badges, although blurred, are likely Pick and Rifle.......

Pioneer Bn Collar Badges.jpg

Edited by TullochArd
clarification......with you regrading Pioneer Bn......

10 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

He's Worcestershire Regiment and as already mentioned, with a Pioneer Battalion.   Pete.

Thank You

11 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

I'm with you .......the collar badges, although blurred, are likely Pick and Rifle.......

Pioneer Bn Collar Badges.jpg

Thank You

11 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

He's Worcestershire Regiment and as already mentioned, with a Pioneer Battalion.   Pete.

Thank You

2 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

My money is on 14th (Service) Battalion (Severn Valley Pioneers), Worcestershire Regiment.   Pete.

Thank you

he was born in staffs and lived in Gloucester 

29 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

When were  the medals stolen?

We think that back in the 80’s the Mother in Law sold a few items to a “friend” but he routed through the cupboard alone. She was adamant that the medals were not included. A box brownie camera disappeared at the same time. 

2 hours ago, JoeBirt said:

Sorry.
His name is Joseph Dean b Oct 1882

d Sep 1976

Checking birth registrations has failed to find a Joseph Dean registered in 1882. However, a Joseph Dean's birth was registered in the December quarter of 1881 in the Shifnal Registration District - this district spans the boundaries of Staffordshire and Shropshire.

Checking death registrations for Gloucester in 1976 finds a registration for a Joseph Dean, death registered in July 1976. This entry gives a date of birth as 20 October 1881. This ties in with the birth registered in 1881 in Shifnal.

The 1939 National Register shows a Joseph Dean (date of birth 20 October 1881, by profession a Gardener) together with his wife, Annie A Dean (date of birth 24 November 1884) and a Reginald A Dean (date of birth 15 December 1921). The family were living at The Lodge, Whitminster House, Gloucester.

A search of marriage registrations brought up a Joseph Dean marrying a Annie Amelia Bliss in 1909.

Is this the Joseph Dean you are looking for?

Taking on board the suggested regiments (Cheshire; Worcestershire; East Yorks) I have searched the MICs and find:

• No record for a Joseph Dean in the East Yorks Regiment
  • Only a Joseph H Dean in the Cheshire Regiment (medal rolls shows this as Joseph Harold Dean)
  • Joseph Dean with the MIC showing Worcestershire Reg (26875) Bedfordshire & Herts Reg (59269) -- this could be the man that the OP is looking for. Find My Past have a medical record of this man being admitted to number 34 Casualty Clearing Station on 17 December 1916 with 'trench feet' He is shown to be in 'C' Company of the 2nd Battalion of the Worcestershires. His age is recorded as 35 years -- this matches the age of the Joseph Dean born on 20 October 1881

Image courtesy of FindMyPast

Joseph Dean.jpg

2 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Checking birth registrations has failed to find a Joseph Dean registered in 1882. However, a Joseph Dean's birth was registered in the December quarter of 1881 in the Shifnal Registration District - this district spans the boundaries of Staffordshire and Shropshire.

Checking death registrations for Gloucester in 1976 finds a registration for a Joseph Dean, death registered in July 1976. This entry gives a date of birth as 20 October 1881. This ties in with the birth registered in 1881 in Shifnal.

The 1939 National Register shows a Joseph Dean (date of birth 20 October 1881, by profession a Gardener) together with his wife, Annie A Dean (date of birth 24 November 1884) and a Reginald A Dean (date of birth 15 December 1921). The family were living at The Lodge, Whitminster House, Gloucester.

A search of marriage registrations brought up a Joseph Dean marrying a Annie Amelia Bliss in 1909.

Is this the Joseph Dean you are looking for?

THANK YOU. Wow. My wife is so happy with this info. Yes he married Annie. Cannot thank you enough. 

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

Taking on board the suggested regiments (Cheshire; Worcestershire; East Yorks) I have searched the MICs and find:

• No record for a Joseph Dean in the East Yorks Regiment
  • Only a Joseph H Dean in the Cheshire Regiment (medal rolls shows this as Joseph Harold Dean)
  • Joseph Dean with the MIC showing Worcestershire Reg (26875) Bedfordshire & Herts Reg (59269) -- this could be the man that the OP is looking for. Find My Past have a medical record of this man being admitted to number 34 Casualty Clearing Station on 17 December 1916 with 'trench feet' He is shown to be in 'C' Company of the 2nd Battalion of the Worcestershires. His age is recorded as 35 years -- this matches the age of the Joseph Dean born on 20 October 1881

Image courtesy of FindMyPast

Joseph Dean.jpg

Thank You so much. Now I can start the search to get replacement medals. 

Entitled to British Wat Medal and Victory Medal.

First Name: J

Surname: Dean

Index Number of Admission: 31191

Service Number: 26875

Years Service: 1 year

Months With Field Force: 5 months

Ailment: Trench feet

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 17/12/1916

Date Transferred to Sick Convoy: 17/12/1916

Notes written in the Observations Column:

No.1 Ambulance Train.

Religion: Church of England

Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment

Battalion:2nd Battalion

Other unit info:C Company, 33rd Division

Resided Town: Cirencester

Report Date:

05/01/1917

Information:

Listed as "Previously reported wounded, now reported not wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office.

Service Number: 26875

Primary Unit: Worcestershire Regiment

Archive Reference:

DT06011917

First Name: J

Surname: Dean

Incident Details: War Office Daily List No.5401

Report Date: 27/10/1917

More Information:

Entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of the 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being named on this list.

Casualty Listed As: Wounded

Next Of Kin Address: Cirencester

Worcestershire Regiment

Archive Reference:

NLS 1917_WList13

Name:   Joseph Dean

Event Type:        Marriage

Birth Year:          abt 1882

Marriage Date:  10 Oct 1909

Marriage Place: Northampton, St Michael, Northamptonshire, England

Register Type:   Parish Registers

Parish as it Appears:              Northampton, St Michael and All Angels

Father:  John Dean

Profession : Poultry Man

Spouse: Annie Amelia Bliss

Spouse Father : Henry Bliss

Profession : Carter

Name:   Joseph Dean

Spouse: Annie Amelia Dean

Child:    John Henry Dean

Baptised : 1st September 1912

....... there is another Joseph Deans ...... but note the "s" as shown on the the MIC and Medal Roll L/102 B8 1768.  No other connected references found.  He is 5042/241758 Pte 2/8th Worcestershire Regiment and also entitled to BWM/BVM.  

Would JoeBirt kindly confirm the family connections (spouse etc) highlighted by Antomis above which would eliminate this particular man.

The collar dogs on the photo still cause me concern ........ I have read (and not necessarily understood) that 2/8th were originally formed as a Second Line Bn.  The photo shows an Economy Jacket.