Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines cap badge info

GazB

21 minutes ago, GazB said:

Glad about that. Asking because it's slightly different from the one you showed earlier in this thread 

There were slight manufacturers variations, but you must remember that the badge concerned was simply a collar badge.  The key aspect is that it shows the continents of Europe, Asia and India on the badge as per the examples that we’ve seen.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 21/03/2021 at 19:57, horatio2 said:

Having reviewed a number of RMMU records of that period I must revise my previous assessment, which was in error.

It is now clear that the subject of this topic did deploy to the Dardanelles on 1 March 1915 with the RMMU, remaining there until18 October 1915 and it was this period of service that qualified him for the Star. Please, disregard my comments about Blandford. Apologies for a bad steer.

I've found 3 other RMMU records all with very close service numbers to my grandad having joined the same week. All 3 service records are the same format as my grandads with just active service/Special Service Force written on them. From other sources it is clear they all served in the Dardanelles with one listed as killed and two mentioned in the London Gazette dispatches.

ADM-159-209-3152.pdf ADM-159-209-3154.pdf ADM-159-209-3155.pdf

4 hours ago, GazB said:

I've found 3 other RMMU records all with very close service numbers to my grandad having joined the same week. All 3 service records are the same format as my grandads with just active service/Special Service Force written on them. From other sources it is clear they all served in the Dardanelles with one listed as killed and two mentioned in the London Gazette dispatches.

ADM-159-209-3152.pdf 1.43 MB · 3 downloads ADM-159-209-3154.pdf 1.57 MB · 4 downloaADM-159-209-3155.pdf 1.58 MB · 3 downloads

I think it’s clear that your grandfather did serve in the Dardanelles.  There are two photos of the men of the RMMU, who deployed, in the RM Historical Society Publication 41 that covers dress and personal distinctions of the Royal Marines.

Edited by FROGSMILE

This may be of interest:

Gaskell A. Official history of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli. Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service. Vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 193-208; no. 4, pp. 275-291; Vol. 12, no. 1 pp. 36-57; no. 2, pp. 121-140; no. 3, pp. 219-227; no. 4 pp. 288-309.

Collated into one pdf here:

Gaskell A - History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division.pdf

14 hours ago, seaJane said:

This may be of interest:

Gaskell A. Official history of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli. Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service. Vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 193-208; no. 4, pp. 275-291; Vol. 12, no. 1 pp. 36-57; no. 2, pp. 121-140; no. 3, pp. 219-227; no. 4 pp. 288-309.

Collated into one pdf here:

Gaskell A - History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division.pdf 4.5 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks seajane. Downloaded ready to read tonight 

47 minutes ago, GazB said:

Thanks seajane. Downloaded ready to read tonight 

My pleasure - enjoy.

• 6 months later...

The photo shows the RM collar badge worn by their support services as headdress insignia fairly clearly.

0962FB0E-A1D2-42F4-B60C-01DD8FA10724.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE