Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Albion John Canon - almost certainly an alias, so what was his real name?

corisande

When a man joined the Royal Irish Constabulary in 1920/1921, he gave hia name and date and place of birth. These details were not necessarily true, but the RIC usually got a character reference from the army , so he had to give a real military record if he wanted to be accepted.

In the case of George Albion John Canon his details do cross check with a military record - he did serve as this name

He enlisted in RIC on 26 Oct 1921 and served served about 4 months till its disbandment. He told the RIC that he was born George Albion John Canon in Sussex on 22 Apr 1890

There is a military record for a George Albion Canon

#2948 in Royal West Surrey , & #206496

1915 Jul 17 Disembarked in France

1919 Feb 14 Disembodied

But that is all - nothing before 1915 and nothing after 1922,

"Canon" is an unusual name, as is the "Albion" so can be searched for relatively easily, but there is nothing. I can find no life before he landed in France with Royal West Surrey, and nothing after he left the RIC in 1922

He has had to have had an earlier life and a later life, so either he served under an alias in R West Surry, or came from overseas (I can find nothing to indicate him shipping in , or shipping out)

I feel that I am missing something / overlooked something. Perhaps I have missed something in his army records. Anyone any ideas as to who he was?

It is an unusual surname.

There were only been 9 Canon births registered in England and Wales between 1885 and 1895.

And no George Canons (ever).

And none in Sussex.

Only 2 George Canon deaths, both children.

He didn't want to be found did he?

Was he a death in Ireland or did he just vanish?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

He didn't want to be found did he?

:thumbsup:

Maybe I should change my name to Canon

It surprised me how rare the name was. I have tried alternative spellings of Canon and got nowhere. I feel that he is unlikely to have plucked such an obscure name out of the air, particularly with and odd/unusual name among Christion names

I think he must have been wanting to hide himself - but there is usually a chink somewhere in the paperwork. Maybe he was just better than most at hiding himself

20 minutes ago, corisande said:

Maybe I should change my name to Canon

Yes, or Nikon...

Edit:  There are a few Canons in Ireland, but no 1890 births...

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

45 minutes ago, corisande said:

1919 Feb 14 Disembodied

A small typo, if MIC and MR are to be believed = 1915 Jul 17 Disembarked (2B) Balkans

Have had a wider look, like many others I'm sure - Canon is elusive.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

9 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Disembarked (2B) Balkans

Thanks, you are quite right. I will correct that on my own computer

He really does not seem to have made any waves in WW1. Sometimes if an alias is uncovered, there is a reference on MIC to the other name. Or on a pension card. I could have missed either maybe?

As far as I can see he avoided getting either wounded or getting malaria, so never appears on any records

And on reflection, another odd thing about him is that he had 3 Christian names. The men that joined the Black & Tans had managed to avoid becoming officrs in WW1, and generaly came from poor backgrounds, hence only usually one Christianname, rarely two and scarcely any others with three

And I will see if that ref to transport to Gallipoli gets me anywhere - amazing that he might have got out of Gallipoli without wounding

Edited by corisande

LLT have one entry for Q(RWS) and Gallipoli as 2/4th Bn - and that matches Canon's Medal Roll.

"18 July 1915: departed from Devonport for service with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. Landed at Gallipoli 9 August 1915"

Any WD?

:-) M

Edit:  Looking at the National Archives - there seem to be this https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/55bdfc5f-c6e5-4ce5-8072-3cfc9ae417d7 but not digitised and held at Surrey History Centre [seems to be quite a lot of other stuff at SHC too]

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

1 hour ago, corisande said:

1919 Feb 14 Disembodied

Looking at other men,

#2940 15 Oct 1914

The 6 digit number appears to be 4th Bn so it suggests he was in or around Croydon in 1914.

Craig

Just now, ss002d6252 said:

The 6 digit number appears to be 4th Bn so it suggests he was in or around Croydon in 1914.

Thanks Craig,

That stacks up with the info he gave to RIC. He said he was born in Sussex, but had a secondary tie to Surrey (which I assumed to be the R West Surrey Regt)

I think I have found on Ancestry

George Albion J Cannon born Horsham April 1896

George Albion John Cannon 1921 -1923 at 24 London Road, Reigate in Electoral Registers

So born in Sussex but later moved a short distance to Surrey

Jim

Edited by JimE
Edited to correct from Albert to Albion - unable to read my own notes!

Just now, JimE said:

George Albert J Cannon born Horsham April 1896

George Albert John Cannon 1921 -1923 at 24 London Road, Reigate in Electoral Registers

So born in Sussex but later moved a short distance to Surrey

That looks really good JimE. There is a high probability that that is him. I will see if I can get any cross checks

Birth registered April 1896 Horsham, Sussex

Death 1931 Reigate

1911 Barstow Park Farm, South Nutfield Surrey

George Albion Canon 206496 - details on WFA Pension Records.

Edited by BarbaraG

3 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

George Albion Canon 206496 - details on WFA Pension Records.

Thanks Barbara, I had found this before, but discarded it as there was no more info on it (I thought/think) Here is the card in case anyone can tell anything more from it

pension.jpg.3eede398b80af6b08c831db52e0e2703.jpg

Yes he is certainly the man born in 1896 in Horsham that @JimE found

The original entry in the GRO register actually reads George Albion J Cannon

He is in 1911 census and died in Reigate in 1931

So it looks as if he was not trying to had, and all that stopped him being discoved was the difference between Cannon and Canon, and a mis transcription of Albion to Albert

Shows how one can spend ages trying to sort out such errors.

I m very grateful to all here for the inputs - I must admit, I did not think the chances of getting him were high when I started the thread

!

Edited by corisande

8 minutes ago, corisande said:

Thanks Barbara, I had found this before, but discarded it as there was no more info on it (I thought/think) Here is the card in case anyone can tell anything more from it

pension.jpg.3eede398b80af6b08c831db52e0e2703.jpg

Not a lot - region 11 pension so South East - Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex,Kent and Middlesex

Claim ended in 1931 - ties in with a death in 1931.

Craig

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Claim ended in 1931 - ties in with a death in 1931.

Thanks Craig. Am I right in thinking that "Dead" on these forms normally refers to the claim, rather than the claimant, beng finished. And that it dos not have to be the same date as the claimants death

31 minutes ago, corisande said:

Thanks Craig. Am I right in thinking that "Dead" on these forms normally refers to the claim, rather than the claimant, beng finished. And that it dos not have to be the same date as the claimants death

Correct.

Craig

To summarise, it is amazing how as series  of happenings make it difficult to find somebody

1. My ingong supposition  George Albion John Canon - almost certainly an alias, so what was his real name? was wrong The wildcards I used in searches did not allow for all three very small mistakes in transcriptions

2. His real name was in fact almost that - George Albion John Cannon

3. I could not find him as

the RIC had his birth as 1890 and not 1896

he served as Canon not Cannon

the birth had been transcribed in places as Albert, not Albion

He was only 35 when he died. I cannot get anything in newspapers, so the cause of death is more likely than not, "natural causes", in which case he probably picked up something while serving in Eastern Med

Thanks all, I would never have got there myself - I had already given up when I started the thread

Edited by corisande

The transcription error on the birth and registers was mine. Both are correctly shown as Albion not Albert - I could not read my own written notes

I have edited my earlier post

Sorry for the confusion