Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British War Medal Eligibility

Stevejm

I am researching the service of Private Samuel Torr, I obtained his medal card from the NA and it shows that he served with the North Staffs Regiment and Somerset L.I. The card indicates that he was eligible for the BWM but not the VM or 14/15 Star. My understanding is that this means that he served overseas but not in a war zone. Is my understanding correct? Were people who enlisted but served in UK eligible for the BWM?

Any advice would be much appreciated

CD46DE1B-4C36-4BCE-AA4C-45EDD63AE4BE.jpeg

• Admin

Your understanding is correct in that those who served overseas but not in a war zone e.g. India were entitled to the BWM.

Those who just served a home in the UK were not entitled to any of the Great War campaign medals.

Regards

Russ

1 hour ago, RussT said:

Your understanding is correct in that those who served overseas but not in a war zone e.g. India were entitled to the BWM.

Those who just served a home in the UK were not entitled to any of the Great War campaign medals.

Regards

Russ

I found out that 2 NS Regt and 2 SLI were both in India throughout WW1 so these are possibilities. I can’t find war diaries for either regiment. Do you know how to determine activities of regiments that remained in India for the duration?

Not entirely correct. The Admiralty granted the issue of the British War Medal to all ranks who had completed 28 days' mobilised service between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918. 

Edited by horatio2

Ive got a BWM to a Canadian, he only came to England and never made it into Europe so the BWM is his sole entitlement

I believe the soldiers who were on duty during the raid on Hartlepool, Scarborough and Whitby in December 1914 received the BWM.   Pete.

22 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I believe the soldiers who were on duty during the raid on Hartlepool, Scarborough and Whitby in December 1914 received the BWM.   Pete.

They did - although Albert Bennett, a North Riding Battery man, who was at home on leave at the time didn't even though he was killed at Scarborough in the bombardment.

Craig

I've got a BWM to a Canadian, he only came to England and never made it into Europe so the BWM is his sole entitlement

Leaving your country and serving abroad (ie England) could qualify you for the BWM.  There was a British Nurse who was living it Switzerland but returned to the UK to serve and thereby qualified for the BWM.  

The irony is the RNAS members who served in the UK throughout the whole war were eligible for the BWM under Navy rules (28 days) then became members of the RAF 1 April 1918.  Their fellow RAF colleagues who had served the whole period in the RFC / RAF in the UK got nothing.  

Edited by Odin
updated

45 minutes ago, Odin said:

Leaving your country and serving abroad (ie England) could qualify you for the BWM

Exactly.  There were 600 Australians left Northern Queensland and served in Port Moresby (New Guinea) for a few weeks, awaiting the attack on Rabaul.  Due to a ship's mutiny, they returned directly to Townsville without participating but were classed as eligible for the BWM.

image.png.c05364ae7da7b91683b07b5428905b19.png

1 hour ago, Odin said:

The irony is the RNAS members who served in the UK throughout the whole war were eligible for the BWM under Navy rules (28 days) then became members of the RAF 1 April 1918.  Their fellow RAF colleagues who had served the whole period in the RFC / RAF in the UK got nothing.  

Just compensation to the RNAS men for being forced into the RAF, in my opinion. ;)