Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help please

Adelle

Hello everyone. I’m new on this forum. Doing my family tree and I have a photo which I believe belongs to my great great uncle who was killed during WW1. You will see from the photo that the cap badge is very blurry. Does anyone have any idea which regiment this badge belongs to. Thanks in advance

5692D63B-C884-465E-8C85-1321681F3FC0.jpeg

F8522329-85CD-4326-ACCF-05DC14AF12E7.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Adelle, adding a name for your great great uncle may open the doors further. That said the cap badge looks to my squinting eye to be that of The Buffs - East Kent Regiment and he may have served with the 4th or 5th battalions judging by his shoulder title.

J

07224C75-1917-4EF4-912A-8AD8659322E2.jpeg.f13c83166a614b40b81727cf524ac964.jpeg

Thank you so much Sir! I found another photo and I believe it’s the same man but older you can clearly see the badge on this photo. Mystery solved. He is my Great Grandfather. Charles Daniel Sheryer serving in the East Kent Buffs and injured on 6 July 1916. 

344F4751-5CBF-46AB-BB6B-F677075EDE25.jpeg

Service number SR/236, medal rolls record Lance Corporal in 6th Bn although in the image he is sporting the chevrons of a Corporal. Served overseas post 31st December 1915 as he was only awarded the Victory and British War Medals. He’s a Special Reserve soldier, the first image posted likely to have been pre war. You can read about the SR here on the mother site. 

C.D.Sheryer  has service papers on Ancestry (should also be on Find My Past)

which will tell you about  his ww1 war service  when enlisted. discharged ect

He was also awarded the silver war badge No 278249

Note C.D.Sheryer is listed erroneously as   C D Sherger on the silver war badge roll

Ray

and welcome to the forum Adelle

I agree with Jay that the first photo looks as if Territorial Force shoulder titles are being worn, which seems unusual for a SR man.

E87C4491-9DF1-41EB-B01C-4C1C6D6B7F59.jpeg

Served 6 years and 3 days with the 1st East Kent Rgt as Corporal 5526, discharged 1st February 1904. The SR/ prefix may be somewhat erroneous although it does appear once on the service papers, however, these papers do record a G/ prefix more often.

9 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Served 6 years and 3 days with the 1st East Kent Rgt as Corporal 5526, discharged 1st February 1904. The SR/ prefix may be somewhat erroneous although it does appear once on the service papers, however, these papers do record a G/ prefix more often.

That’s interesting as the man in the first photo seems too young to have been a Corporal in 1904, Jay.  I wonder if it’s a younger sibling, or other relative.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I wonder if it’s a younger sibling, or other relative.

To me, they certainly look to be two different men. 

4 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

To me, they certainly look to be two different men. 

Yes I agree.  The more I look, the more that seems to be the case.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s interesting as the man in the first photo seems too young to have been a Corporal in 1904, Jay.  I wonder if it’s a younger sibling, or other relative.

I did wonder given the 1904 date.

Adelle, in the OP you mention your great great uncle who was killed during the war. Your next post you say great grandfather who was wounded on 6th July 1916. 
Any further information you have for the family may help adding more detail to any future findings. Only 2 Sheryer’s died during the conflict and neither with The Buffs.

Hello again and thanks for your helpful comments. I’m very new to this but I do have a bit more information. Charles Daniel had a younger brother called Clement Baker (aka Charles?) Sheryer no. 25524. He was killed in action on 31 October 1914 and is buried at La Croix Marmuse, but here’s the sticking point - I don’t think he was in the East Kent Buffs. I need to keep looking I think?

1 minute ago, Adelle said:

Hello again and thanks for your helpful comments. I’m very new to this but I do have a bit more information. Charles Daniel had a younger brother called Clement Baker (aka Charles?) Sheryer no. 25524. He was killed in action on 31 October 1914 and is buried at La Croix Marmuse, but here’s the sticking point - I don’t think he was in the East Kent Buffs. I need to keep looking I think?

Charles Daniel survived WW1 and went on to be ARP on Post 19 during WW2. He was my great grandfather. That would make Clement Baker my great uncle. Apologies for confusion.

40 minutes ago, Adelle said:

Hello again and thanks for your helpful comments. I’m very new to this but I do have a bit more information. Charles Daniel had a younger brother called Clement Baker (aka Charles?) Sheryer no. 25524. He was killed in action on 31 October 1914 and is buried at La Croix Marmuse, but here’s the sticking point - I don’t think he was in the East Kent Buffs.

Right.

Clement was serving under an alias, presumably pretending to be his brother Charles.

As you can see from the CWGC entry, Clement was actually in the ASC when he was killed.

sheryer.png

Charles Sheryer t/25524 (alias ) has service papers on Ancestry  enlisted Sept 1907 ASC /to reserves  Mobilised at the outbreak of the war (previously  prior to enlisting in 1907 he served in the 5th Bn Rifle Brigade Militia

Ray

The register of soldiers effects indicate that Charles Daniel Sheryer was his half brother

sheryer.JPG.d16e2f112c4472be23aa669debbc02ce.JPG

Charles Sheryer 25524 also listed as an alias on the effects register  true name Clement Baker Sheryer

His half brother! Well that sort of makes sense as I’ve had real trouble trying to fit him in anywhere. I’ll probably never be able to find out as my mum (Charles Daniels granddaughter) passed away last November. She’s the last one in the family that could have maybe shed some light. I have Clement Bakers death plaque, on which he is named Charles, so I’ll have to do some more searching. Thank you all so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.