Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Deacon

A J Avenell

Hello, can anyone assist me in trying to make out what the letters at the bottom of the attached photo mean. William Deacon was my wife's Grandfather and we know he lost an arm in the great war and as far as I can make out from the photo he was in the R.E, possibly with a horse regiment.

I look forward to any help or guidance, thank you

Kind regards

Tony

William Deacon (1).jpg

William Deacon 1915 (2).jpg

William Deacon (2).jpg

The LongLongTrail tells us this:

Field Companies per Division expanded to three

In September 1914 an urgent recommendation was received from GHQ in France that the needs of war required a third Field Company per Division. This had been recommended in 1912 but not implemented. Arrangements were made for eight Territorial Field Companies to fill these places in the first eight Divisions. The Companies were given numbers in February 1917:

Field Company Allocation to Divisions
401st 2nd (Highland) Field Company TF, joined 7th Division January 1915 and in January 1916 to 51st Division
409th 1st (Lowland) Field Company TF, joined 1st Division
419th 1st (West Lancashire) Field Company TF, joined 4th Division February 1915 and then 55th Division in February 1916. Briefly attached 48th Division in April 1915.
438th 1st (Cheshire) Field Company TF, joined 3rd Division
483rd 1st (East Anglian) Field Company TF, joined 2nd Division January 1915
490th 1/1st (Home Counties) Field Company TF, joined 8th Division
491st 1/2nd (Home Counties) Field Company TF, joined 5th Division
509th 1st (London) Field Company TF, joined 6th Division

My list of RE Units tells me that wiki is correct. 2/1 HC FC became 493 FC and 2/2 HC FC became 494 FC. 

There might be something in these papers on Discovery

Brian

001.JPG

Do you have a date of birth and a location for him as there are a number of Wm Deacons in the RE. With such a wounding he must have received a Pension and been entitled to the Silver War Badge.

Charlie

2/1st HC Field Company, later renamed 493 HC Field Company, was formed at Brighton and Eastbourne in October , 1914 and joined 71st HC Division at Tonbridge. 

Source: Sussex Sappers - Colonel LF Morling DSO, OBE, TD.

TR

Hi Charlie962

William was born in Ripe, East Sussex on 9th October 1876, unfortunately that's about all I now of him. 

6 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

2/1st HC Field Company, later renamed 493 HC Field Company, was formed at Brighton and Eastbourne in October , 1914 and joined 71st HC Division at Tonbridge. 

Source: Sussex Sappers - Colonel LF Morling DSO, OBE, TD.

TR

Hi Terry, thank you for the information, it's very helpful.

Charlie

The obvious one on SWB is 33445 William Deacon. He has papers in wo 364 (Ancestry under 38445) but he was from Workington. He did manage to cut the top off his finger in France though and was sent home with diabetes. Will look again.

Brian

4 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

He did manage to cut the top off his finger in France

and that was an accident caused with a billhook !!

• 1 year later...

Hi William

Thank you for posting the picture, I am not sure which one is William Deacon, is he the one on the left of the picture holding a hammer and with a moustache please?

Are you related to William Deacon?

Best wishes

Tony A

HI, 
I messed up the form for entry.  My name isn't actually William Deacon (I thought that you had to enter the name of the post you wanted to comment on(.  I am actually Jim Smith.

I literally found this photo among a lot of old photos and postcards I bought at auction on monday, then saw this post.

Having said that, yes, I would say that the guy with the hammer looks like the guy in the original print.  The photo is on ebay if you want a better look - Item number 314176097825

• Admin

We can change your username  if you want. 

Hi Jim

Thanks for clarification, I have shown my wife and she is confident that her grandfather is not in the picture, however, I will take a closer look and try and compare the images with photos I have of William Deacon.

Take care and I am sure you will be able to change your username.

Kind regards

Tony 

On 19/03/2021 at 15:39, brianmorris547 said:

The obvious one on SWB is 33445 William Deacon. He has papers in wo 364 (Ancestry under 38445) but he was from Workington. He did manage to cut the top off his finger in France though and was sent home with diabetes.

Pension cards at WFA/Fold3 indicate he was discharged, 16.5.16, died 28.5.17 of Diabetes mellitis, aggravated by service, - widow was Gertrude, b. 30.6.89, and son Walter Pharoh, b10.3.14

Commemorated by CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2748631/william-deacon 

M

Edited by Matlock1418