Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Incorrect name recorded on CWGC

KIRKY

I have a medal which on CWGC says his name is George Freak Street, it should be Frederick not Freak!

Who do I contact to get the reference changed?

Tony

Have a look at the CWGC website as how you notify them of any changes has completely changed.  

ive just sent an email to the enquiries team in the past

No doubt you have seen his service records on Ancestry which clearly shows his middle name as Frederick 

as his father’s address as it appears in the memorial register for Thiepval 

The next set of service papers after George Frederick Street is 11/19141 George Freak Street Yorkshire Regiment 

At the top of the service papers the middle name does like look Freak

For what is your name it is George Frederick Street 

Thanks for that Chester boy

Tony

you have to bear in mind that back at the turn of the century 1900, and before many of the lower classes could not spell or had dialect spellings.

I have a Tom not a Thomas, this was his christening as Tom so thats how it appears, in your case I have a few Frdk in my collection as middle names commonly used for Frederick. these names could well have been by parents with even lower education standards.

its possible that the person filling in the form could also have had a lower education being themselves products of the 1850 period. some signing on  forms had a cross as a signature and witnessed by annotated (possibly by someone who knew him).

Ironically, this is a comment that comes up often regarding Ancestry searching, modern day copyists, read and write what they think rather than what it should be. Wiltshire could be searched but Ive seen it Wiltshrie, probably speed typing, but no consolation to us searching specifically.

It would be nice if someone could go through and re check entries, after all, we put it in as we spell or even their pop up option has it.

17 hours ago, chaz said:

you have to bear in mind that back at the turn of the century 1900, and before many of the lower classes could not spell or had dialect spellings.

Also that Frederick was often shortened to Fredk. when written so could easily be mistaken for Freak.