Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2854 Private F Emery 5th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment

HolyBoys

In my local cemetery there are the graves of six soldiers, four of whom died during the great war.  The one that caught my eye was 2854 Private Emery of the 5th Beds.  He died on 8 December 1914, so an early war casualty.  I have looked on the CWGC and see that he is listed as buried in Potton Cemetery in Bedfordshire.  I just wondered how he ended up here.  

Was he wounded, repatriated and subsequently died, or was his body returned home perhaps?

The other three names are:

26754 Private A P Whitfield, Depot Bedfordshire Regiment, died 26 October 1918,

203183 Private W C Hare 1/5th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, died 22 October 1918,

7311 Private F Moore, Depot East Surrey Regiment, died 19 July 1918

Bob

Frederick Emery joined the 5th Bedfordshires Territorial Force on the 17th May 1911 for 4 years, he was aged 18. He was embodied into the regular 5th Battalion Bedfordshires on the 5 August 1914 but discharged on the 17 October 1914 as medically unfit (heart disease)

Edited by Allan1892

His service record exists in Find My Past. When he was discharged in October 1914 he was suffering from heart disease after suffering from scarlet fever and then from rheumatic fever. Image below courtesy of FMP

Emery medical history.jpg

Allen Pettengell Whitfield died of influenza - Pension Card. Nok Naomi, mother, King St, Potton. born c 1896

William Charles Hare died of Heart Failure

Fred Moore's card says "died of disease"

Edited by Mark1959