Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German medal

Gunner 87

Hi Guys. Would any of our members recognise this medal? I initially thought it was a Der Stahlhelm veterans badge though research suggest otherwise. many thanks in advance  @AOK4 @GreyC @sunko123456

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 19.36.39.png

Edited by Gunner 87

resembles the WW1 and WW2 wound badges bt they are oval rather than round

Edited by chaz

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

resembles the WW1 and WW2 wound badges bt they are oval rather than round

Hi Chaz, yes it does though it is odd having two loops unlike a normal medal. 

cant help other than think along the lines of being an everyday medal as opposed to the full size one, less conspicuous etc

1 hour ago, chaz said:

cant help other than think along the lines of being an everyday medal as opposed to the full size one, less conspicuous etc

As an update, I omitted to say the medal is 2 cm's in diameter so could be miniature or possible privately made jewellery. The back is plain. Any opinions welcome. 

Edited by Gunner 87

No idea, but I don't think it is a WWI period medal. Perhaps something after the war for some veterans' association or a Freikorps medal or something.

Jan

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

No idea, but I don't think it is a WWI period medal. Perhaps something after the war for some veterans' association or a Freikorps medal or something.

Jan

Thank you anyway Jan, appreciate you taking a look.

2 hours ago, derekb said:

Is there anything on the other side?

Hi derekb, it's plain on the reverse. 

Found this which appears very similar... described as a Wehrwolf / Werewolf enamel badge of the Freikorps though I think it's a belt buckle.  @AOK4 @derekb

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.56.45.png

Hi, it´s definitely a Koppelschloß/belt buckle. It seems to show a M1935 Stahlhelm. The Stahlhelm of the medal is a simplified rendition of either a WW1 or WW2 Stahlhelm. I don´t think that it is anything issued by the Deutsches Reich or its member states. Could be of patriotic or paramilitary origin.

GreyC

13 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi, it´s definitely a Koppelschloß/belt buckle. It seems to show a M1935 Stahlhelm. The Stahlhelm of the medal is a simplified rendition of either a WW1 or WW2 Stahlhelm. I don´t think that it is anything issued by the Deutsches Reich or its member states. Could be of patriotic or paramilitary origin.

GreyC

Thank you GreyC, I appreciate your opinion. 

5 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Found this which appears very similar... described as a Wehrwolf / Werewolf enamel badge of the Freikorps though I think it's a belt buckle.  @AOK4 @derekb

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.56.45.png

Does it say Frontheit? Could it be from someone who was proud to have served at the front?

aim

19 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Chaz, yes it does though it is odd having two loops unlike a normal medal. 

Easier to sew on to a jacket rather than hang from a ribbon.

aim

14 minutes ago, aim said:

Does it say Frontheit? Could it be from someone who was proud to have served at the front?

aim

Yes it does and I agree, that's most likely what it means. In the absence of anything similar online the medal is almost certainly a patriotic or paramilitary award as GreyC and Jan suggest. With the two loop holes I tend to think it was secured by a chain, probably to a bracelet, as small privately purchased Iron Crosses and other WW1 decorations can be found. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Rather Frontheil as Frontheit

The two loops could suggest the end of a clock ribon or small chain, to wear on a gilet. 

In Germany,  these clock accessories were sometime the support of patriotic, sport or other association ornament .

5 minutes ago, Gabelou said:

Rather Frontheil as Frontheit

Thanks Gabelou. Any opinion on the medal?

The beltbuckle is most likely one worn by the Stahlhelm-Bund, a Weimar Republik paramilitary organisation of the political right. As the helmet on the medal resembles the helmet on the beltbuckel it might well originate from this organisation.

GreyC

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

The beltbuckle is most likely one worn by the Stahlhelm-Bund, a Weimar Republik paramilitary organisation of the political right. As the helmet on the medal resembles the helmet on the beltbuckel it might well originate from this organisation.

GreyC

Thank you GreyC, that's appreciated.