Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German medal


Gunner 87

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys. Would any of our members recognise this medal? I initially thought it was a Der Stahlhelm veterans badge though research suggest otherwise. many thanks in advance  @AOK4 @GreyC @sunko123456

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 19.36.39.png

Edited by Gunner 87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

resembles the WW1 and WW2 wound badges bt they are oval rather than round

Edited by chaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

resembles the WW1 and WW2 wound badges bt they are oval rather than round

 Hi Chaz, yes it does though it is odd having two loops unlike a normal medal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

cant help other than think along the lines of being an everyday medal as opposed to the full size one, less conspicuous etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chaz said:

cant help other than think along the lines of being an everyday medal as opposed to the full size one, less conspicuous etc

 

As an update, I omitted to say the medal is 2 cm's in diameter so could be miniature or possible privately made jewellery. The back is plain. Any opinions welcome. 

Edited by Gunner 87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No idea, but I don't think it is a WWI period medal. Perhaps something after the war for some veterans' association or a Freikorps medal or something.

 

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

No idea, but I don't think it is a WWI period medal. Perhaps something after the war for some veterans' association or a Freikorps medal or something.

 

Jan

 Thank you anyway Jan, appreciate you taking a look.

2 hours ago, derekb said:

Is there anything on the other side?

 Hi derekb, it's plain on the reverse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found this which appears very similar... described as a Wehrwolf / Werewolf enamel badge of the Freikorps though I think it's a belt buckle.  @AOK4 @derekb

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.56.45.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, it´s definitely a Koppelschloß/belt buckle. It seems to show a M1935 Stahlhelm. The Stahlhelm of the medal is a simplified rendition of either a WW1 or WW2 Stahlhelm. I don´t think that it is anything issued by the Deutsches Reich or its member states. Could be of patriotic or paramilitary origin.

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi, it´s definitely a Koppelschloß/belt buckle. It seems to show a M1935 Stahlhelm. The Stahlhelm of the medal is a simplified rendition of either a WW1 or WW2 Stahlhelm. I don´t think that it is anything issued by the Deutsches Reich or its member states. Could be of patriotic or paramilitary origin.

GreyC

Thank you GreyC, I appreciate your opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Found this which appears very similar... described as a Wehrwolf / Werewolf enamel badge of the Freikorps though I think it's a belt buckle.  @AOK4 @derekb

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.56.45.png

Does it say Frontheit? Could it be from someone who was proud to have served at the front?

 

aim

19 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

 Hi Chaz, yes it does though it is odd having two loops unlike a normal medal. 

Easier to sew on to a jacket rather than hang from a ribbon.

 

aim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, aim said:

Does it say Frontheit? Could it be from someone who was proud to have served at the front?

 

aim

 

Yes it does and I agree, that's most likely what it means. In the absence of anything similar online the medal is almost certainly a patriotic or paramilitary award as GreyC and Jan suggest. With the two loop holes I tend to think it was secured by a chain, probably to a bracelet, as small privately purchased Iron Crosses and other WW1 decorations can be found. 

Edited by Gunner 87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rather Frontheil as Frontheit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two loops could suggest the end of a clock ribon or small chain, to wear on a gilet. 

In Germany,  these clock accessories were sometime the support of patriotic, sport or other association ornament .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gabelou said:

Rather Frontheil as Frontheit

 Thanks Gabelou. Any opinion on the medal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The beltbuckle is most likely one worn by the Stahlhelm-Bund, a Weimar Republik paramilitary organisation of the political right. As the helmet on the medal resembles the helmet on the beltbuckel it might well originate from this organisation.

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

The beltbuckle is most likely one worn by the Stahlhelm-Bund, a Weimar Republik paramilitary organisation of the political right. As the helmet on the medal resembles the helmet on the beltbuckel it might well originate from this organisation.

GreyC

 

Thank you GreyC, that's appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...