Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Albert WEBB, 1554, RAMC, 2nd West Riding Field Ambulance

Aurel Sercu

Some weeks ago I finalized a piece of research on Albert Webb, 1554, RAMC, 2nd West Riding Field Ambulance.

Due to some 'technical' reasons this piece of research will not reach the destination it was meant for. So I might just as well offer it here to anyone who may be interested. In the man, or in the unit, or in Saltaire or Shipley, where he was born (1892). Or in his parents (Alfred Webb, born Horsforth 1867) and Grace Wilson (Bramley 1868, sister Gladys (1894) and brother-in-law John Pratt, al of them living in Blackpool after WW I.

Albert Webb died on 9 August 1915, near Hull's Farm, Boezinge (a shell), and was buried in Talana Farm Cemetery nearby. What made him special to me is that after WW I and also after WW II, his parents visited the grave a couple of times. And each time after WW II was over, they were disappointed when seeing again that his headstone - reportedly damaged in WW II ), had not been replaced yet. No matter how they insisted (IWGC) a replacing headstone did not come ... That correspondence still exists in the CWGC archives (on line).

The article I finalized in January, in PDF, is 25 pages, with 40 illustrations, and is almost 4 MB, Anyone who might be interested ... Just contact me in a PM (giving me your e-mail address), or in an e-mail to me. It will be a pleasure for me to send it.

Aurel

FB TFC Webb 01 portrait Webb.jpg

Thanks, Ron.

And 'Albert Webb' left Boezinge just a while ago. Next time I am in Talana Farm Cemetery (that will be soon), I'll tell Albert, hoping it will be some comfort to him, and his parents who felt so sad here 70 years ago.

Aurel

Hi Aurel,

Would love to see a copy of this research, will message you my email address.

Regards,

Edward

Many thanks Aurel. I will email you.