Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Concentration sheets

For David Anslem Kerr.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2148830/DAVID ANSELM KERR/

COG report says he has an isolated grave, a privately owned tomb. See plans.

This ties in with his original place of burial in 1914 which had been a cemetery with others concentrated to Vielle-Chapelle New MC. Original location was known as Croix Barbee AKA Harrow Road Corner cemetery (info from other sheets).

Google satelitte image and street view seem to be showing something like a big tomb at that location but he has a GRRF that shows his burial in Euston Post cemetery, clearly added to the sheet at a later date.

The COG has nothing to do with Euston Post, only about the tomb.

Concentrated to Euston Post much later and original tomb remains in situ?

TEW

johntanner

Just looked on Google streetview no evidence of tomb in situ.

Looks like I saw the statue on satellite images and somehow looked at another streetview junction.

Find a Grave have a photo of his CWGC headstone in Euston Post which answers the whole thing really.

Wonder what became of his ornate private tomb and when he was moved to Euston Post.

Thanks

TEW

jay dubaya

Exhumed and reburied 1st April 1952 has been added to the cemetery register.

• Admin
Michelle Young

It's not a tomb, it's a statue of the Virgin Mary. It's on the site of Kerrs tomb. Image from google earth 

IMG_2087.PNG

Jay Dubya,

That's what I should have seen yesterday! Got bogged down in GRRFS & COGS and never checked the register.

Michelle,

Yes, saw the statue yesterday via streetview. Aren't these statues common roadside things? Can't read the plaque but the road junction was the site of an early war cemetery. Just wondering if the statue relates to Kerr, the cemetery or is a coincidental roadside statue.

The scale shows Kerr's grave area to be about 40 foot long from roadside verge. This includes the tiled paving area then grass then the headstone and flower area. I think the statue area would fit comfortably three times with it.

TEW

• Admin
Michelle Young

No, the statue doesn't relate to Kerr, it's a local family thing if I recall. Like you, I had found the reference to the  grave on the cwgc site and when staying at our favourite chambre d'hotes a couple of years ago took a walk out there and onto Euston Post. 

Thanks,

So, if I'd posted a topic along the lines of Anyone know about David Kerr's grave near Croix Barbee? It would have caught your attention.

TEW

jay dubaya

Easily done TEW...

I suspect the grave became neglected and the family agreed for the Commission to take over responsibility for the grave on the proviso that it was moved and the surplus land given back to the village and plough.

Edited by jay dubaya
missing text...
  • Admin
Michelle Young

Just asked him indoors and he too says the statue is to a local family. It does beg the question however, what happened to the original tomb after he was concentrated into Euston Post? It was a sizeable elaborate affair. 

Well, he was the son of Son of Major General Lord Ralph Kerr, K.C.B., C.B. and Lady Anne Kerr, of Woodburn, Dalkeith. That probably explains the elaborate private grave/tomb.

I've noted in CWGC archives relatives' feelings toward exhumation for re-burial. Many were against the idea and did not want this to happen, final resting place etc.

Lord Ralph Kerr no doubt had some clout. I have no idea if it might have been damaged in WWII. The graves commission would have tried to obtain permission to carry out the work. They must have either obtained permission or failed to elicit a response which seems unlikely.

Lord Ralph Kerr died in 1916, David's older sibling took the title until 1940. Not certain how it descended from there but the 12th Marquis Lothian should be locatable in 1954, not sure of his relationship to David Kerr but I don't think it's a direct line.

TEW

• Admin
Michelle Young
2 hours ago, TEW said:

Thanks,

So, if I'd posted a topic along the lines of Anyone know about David Kerr's grave near Croix Barbee? It would have caught your attention.

TEW

Not really sure what you mean ? 

Michelle,

Seems you had knowledge of Kerr and had visited the spot.

TEW

• Admin
Michelle Young

It’s a favourite area of mine. 

• Admin
Michelle Young

Apologies TEW if I wasn't at my best, I've had a ridiculously busy week at work and had to work on my day off yesterday. I'm running a bit on empty at the moment. 

Michelle 

No worries Michelle, re-reading my post it could be a bit of an obscure comment.

TEW