Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remount Regiment

Roderick Hutchison

Hi. Can anyone help in the tracing of a Mr Edward Dennis O'Rorke. He is on the WW1 Memorial of a St Andrews Golf Club but I have tried to research and to no avail.

If anyone can direct me I would be extremely grateful

Roderick

Remounts was the name given to the supply, distribution and repair of horses in the British Army.

The service was part of the duties of the Army Service Corps.

Start by looking for him in the Medal Index Cards under the ASC.

Could he perhaps be:

Pte. Edward O'RORKE 32343 16 Scottish Rifles - battalion from the right part of the world I think

???

:-) M

Where does the "Remounts" come from??

EDIT:  Subsequent posts in the thread appear to rule this man out.

Edited by Matlock1418
EDIT

Is he on a memorial for war dead?

No entry that I can see on CWGC database.

If he didn't leave these shores , he would have no medal entitlement, so no MIC.

Pte. Edward O'RORKE 32343 16 Scottish Rifles - got a Silver War Badge - Badge No. 483828 - the roll says served 4.2.16 to 20.3.19 - Discharged KR392xxvA Sick - aged 42

?

Remember that some 'memorials' might actually be a 'Roll of Honour' - i.e. for those who served and not necessarily died.

??

EDIT:  Subsequent posts in the thread appear to rule this man out.

Edited by Matlock1418
EDIT

Just now, Matlock1418 said:

Remember that some 'memorials' might actually be a 'Roll of Honour'

Yes, that's what I was hoping the OP would clarify.

The name often appears as E Dennis O'rorke. He seems to have connections with Christchurch, New Zealand and Leamington UK. A skilled golfer, member of the Royal & Ancient Club and also a polo player (or at least a breeder of polo ponies.

Leicester daily post 11/12/18 per Findmypast:

Remount.JPG.ff3dc95f1e51adf9a18507acf0e4ea72.JPG

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

He seems to have connections with Christchurch, New Zealand

I think we are on the right track

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

A skilled golfer, member of the Royal & Ancient Club

Well that certainly is a St Andrews connection!

1 hour ago, Roderick Hutchison said:

I have tried to research and to no avail.

Do read the rest of the inquest report. I've not copied all as perhaps unreasonable use ?

Other Remount Depots under his supervision including Park Royal.

Edited by charlie962

If you search newspaper archives then there are numerous hits for him over the years. I see this in the Westminster Gazette 1926 with a NZ flavour:

Remounts3.JPG.746f7fe5c6a36e99607fcd0226cd6cfc.JPG

Clearly a man who knew his horseflesh.

Charlie

Where does a civilian volunteer fit into the Remounts picture?

"Civilian Superintendent of Remounts" was his description.

That explains the lack of both an officer file at the NA and an MIC.

28 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Where does a civilian volunteer fit into the Remounts picture?

Interesting. In his case a New Zealander, about 50 years old and very experienced with horses. I think he was particularly involved with Officers' horses

Remounts clearly came under ASC and they did indeed have a Remount Depot at Park Royal. I can only assume they were keen to co-opt all who could bring their experience but who were not obliged to enlist. (even too old for NZ call up). What did he do prewar  when not hunting and playing golf ?

.......returned to England in 1912 and resided there during the education at the University of Oxford of their two sons..............

When war broke out Mr O’Rorke offered his services to the military authorities and being an expert horseman his services were largely availed of in the selection and purchase of horses for the army, including officers’ chargers, which he personally tested.

Edited by charlie962

"Civilian Superintendent of Remounts"

An interesting position very clearly involved with military activity in the UK during the war

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Remounts3.JPG.746f7fe5c6a36e99607fcd0226cd6cfc.JPG

Makes you wonder if CWGC would consider him for commemoration as he seems to have been in service at the time the injury which caused his death - even if it was "on his very last day in service in the department" when he was injured and even though it was after the war had ended.

He appears to have been actively performing his duties at the Remount Depot at Sysonby - And within the 31 August 1921 cut off date.

They would commemorate a uniformed serviceman who was still serving - other cause of death casualties, e.g. influenza ones, clearly being examples.

And they do commemorate other civilian post casualties, during and after the war.

Including volunteer males [e.g. Red Cross, YMCA etc.] and females, [e.g. Voluntary Aid Detachment etc.].

So why not a Civilian Superintendent of Remounts?

???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

May I thank all that answered this post. It has been very much appreciated not only by myself but by those in the golf club at St Andrews

Roderick

8 minutes ago, Roderick Hutchison said:

May I thank all that answered this post. It has been very much appreciated not only by myself but by those in the golf club at St Andrews

I feel sure I reply on behalf of all - you are very welcome.

= Is there by any chance a photo(s) of the memorial [and perhaps the man] you could post here?

I for one would be interested to see - and again on behalf of others, they would probably too

And similarly any who follow in your wake.

In hope ...

19 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Makes you wonder if CWGC would consider him for commemoration

M, Very good point.  Are you following up on this ?

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:
20 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Makes you wonder if CWGC would consider him for commemoration

M, Very good point.  Are you following up on this ?

The simple answer is no, not at present - I originally didn't know the OP's relationship with him [which I do now - doesn't seem related but just following a golf theme] and did wonder if he might consider it.

However it now does seem he is relatively inexperienced and might struggle and need a hand.

I find it easier with military personnel and do have great difficulty in accessing civilian sources/records.

I'm sure nobody would mind if assistance was offered or even a if full investigation was put together for possible submission.

Would be nice if somebody(ies) could help further and at least give it a try with CWGC.

If I can help with perhaps a bit more I am happy to help whoever.

Edit: As he 'discovered' this chap I have PM the OP to see if he is interested in taking up the challenge in first instance - if he is I am sure assistance would be appreciated - awaiting his reply.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Tried CWGC but they were terribly negative. I had a friend who managed CWGC in Arras but I fear that since Brexit he has evaporated. Your Forum has been more than helpful

Photo coming soon. Have asked

Roderick

59 minutes ago, Roderick Hutchison said:

Tried CWGC but they were terribly negative.

Nil illigitimi carborundum!

I shall make an enquiry of the CWGC to see if he has previously been presented for consideration and any outcome - Done.

20 working days is their service level - so may be a while before I get back.  Watch this space.

[Then we may perhaps need someone with a spare £7 for a Death Certificate - just putting somebody's wallet on notice ;-)]

We look forward to the memorial photo / his commemoration at St Andrews.

Meantime -

Anyone found:

= His inquest?

= His burial record??

= His grave??? - A photo of his grave/any grave memorial????

= Any other memorial????? - A photo etc.??????

Edited by Matlock1418
addit