Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Scottish 1917

andrew pugh

Good Evening

Could I ask a question concerning a Canadian chap called Norm Christie. Did he manage to get the funding for recovering 40 odd men from the Canadian Scottish one of whom was awarded a VC who were buried in a mine crater near Vimy Ridge 1917?

Kind Regards

Andy

he did get some funding and actually began excavations, then I believe the project was shut down by the Govt., no further digging to take place, that is the last I have heard of the project, some one may be able to add more??

Hi robins2

Thanks for your reply. That is a great shame. Would have been great if he found the 42 Canadian Scottish men, of whom one was a recipient of the Victoria Cross.

Regards

Andy  

yes would have been a wonderful find and to be able to put them to a final rest

Hi again robin2

I wonder why the cost of getting this project of digging these men out was so expensive. I would bet that there were many folks out there who would have donated their labour for free. I for one would have, and I know others who would have. Was it a financial thing or a political problem that halted it?

Regards

Andy 

Hi robins2

Thanks for your reply. That is a great shame. Would have been great if he found the 42 Canadian Scottish men, of whom one was a recipient of the Victoria Cross.

Regards

Andy  

I do believe it was a political thing that stopped the project, if I remember correctly the Govt. had set a time limit on the excavation then ended  the permits to do so, as you say there would have been lots of volunteers to assist in project, my self included.

regards

Bob

Hi Bob

I personally would have thought that there would have been a public outcry concerning this. We are not talking about the possibility of finding just one individual were are talking about over 40 + men buried here who should have a final resting place. After all it was registered at the time and the error was down to the War Graves Commission then. Are we starting to forget ww1, I hope not.

Regards

Andy  

I did not see any public replies to the situation here in Canada, Christie had a video made of the last part of the excavation and the end of the project, I have heard no more on the subject, are we starting to forget WW1  I sincerely hope not, over the last few years there has been a increase of the numbers attending the Remembrance Day ceremonies here in Calgary and I think the rest of Canada so that is a good sign, the younger generations need to be educated and made aware of the sacrifices our ancestors made so that we can continue to live in a free world.

regards

Bob