Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medals gone missing

Robbo

I have a number of missing family medals I am trying to find and if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. These medals have been issued but have gone missing. They belong to my two Great Uncles who have no descendants and I would love to get them back into the family where they belong

Gunner 1428 Hugh Talbot   1914-1918    2nd Division ammunition Column ,WW1 trio

Private 474  Lesley James Talbot  1914-1918  6th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron ,WW1  trio

Hi

Just a few more details, both Australian medals. Records online.

1428 refers to Boer War record -

TALBOT, HUGH [Regimental No.1428] joined 31-1-1902 - Boer War Dossier

WW1 record - TALBOT Hugh : Service Number - 15597 : Place of Birth - Swansea NSW : Place of Enlistment - Sydney NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) TALBOT Robert Francis

So Hugh should have QSA also.

regards

Robert

Yes that is correct, that medal is also missing as well as a couple of other Boer War medals that I never mentioned here One for my Grandfather William Henry Talbot and for my Great Grandfather William Henry Anfield. I didn't mention them as I thought this was only for the Great War

at the risk of repeating others , I suggest looking through a few other threads on similar "lost medal" topics.

you will find details of where to post requests and where to carry out searches.

As Australian, I would probably start looking at sites there first.

Thanks for the advice, I will go through the different threads. 

I have registered with a number of places and searched different Australian sites and written to different auction houses, so far nothing. I did find one medal that was sold in 2017 for my 5 x Great Grandfather through DNW. However they wont divulge who purchased it.

7 hours ago, Robbo said:

I have a number of missing family medals I am trying to find and if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. These medals have been issued but have gone missing. They belong to my two Great Uncles who have no descendants and I would love to get them back into the family where they belong

Gunner 1428 Hugh Talbot   1914-1918    2nd Division ammunition Column ,WW1 trio

Private 474  Lesley James Talbot  1914-1918  6th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron ,WW1  trio

When you say "gone missing" does that mean they have been illegally taken or merely that you do not know where they are?

They have been gone for many years, whether they were stolen, lost, sold, destroyed I have no idea. I have been in contact with family members but no one has any idea what happened to them. Hugh died in 1934, never married no children. His father died the next year and everything was left to Leslie, who in turn passed away in July 1947. He was married with one daughter who left for the USA in 1945. His wife followed her in March 1947. He had no grandchildren. So the whereabouts of what happened to everything is a mystery.