Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lt from Wales

stevenbecker

Mates,

Do you have any records on what happened to this man after joining the British Army?

Bill, joined the AIF and served with the ALH at Gallipoli and Egypt until he gained a commision in the British Army

But after that he disappears, the MIC show only one man by that name and he is shown with a Welsh Regt as a Pte and a 2/Lt?

ANTHONY    William Thomas    1251    A/Cpl    03 LHR    9R tos (B Sqn) 11-15 (G) rtn Pte B Sqn 12-15 att WFF at Bir Hooker to L/Cpl 12-15 to Cpl 5-16 to AIF depots (1 com) Perham Downs UK 1-17 disch to British Army prom 2/Lt 2nd Res Regt Hussars (Curragh Ireland) to (Welsh Regt)? (British Yeomanry TF 1 year) related Harold 3 LHR    British TF    Station Storekeeper    26    Adelaide SA    22-2-15    disch UK 24-8-17    NOK at Penlaw Kidwelly Wales

So my question are what happened after 1917 did he join a Welsh Regt?

The MIC shows only this man, is he the same?

Anthony, William T

Welsh Regiment 34510 Private
Welsh Regiment TR4-16590 Private
Welsh Regiment  

Second Lieutenant

Also if possible he shows service in a Yeomanry Regt pre war in Wales, any idea what Regts were near his address in Wales?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

16 minutes ago, stevebecker said:

ANTHONY    William Thomas

There are two London Gazette entries in that name and units near the 1917 date above.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30087/supplement/5043

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30288/supplement/9619

:-) M

Mate,

Thanks, yes shown in May 1917 with the Welsh Regt but in Aug 1917 he shows 2nd Res Cav Regt?

Are they the same man as his AIF service records only shows 2nd Res Cav Regt? which is close to his discharde date from the AIF 24 Aug 1917 and his Gazette entrie 25- Aug 1917

Cheers

S.B

24 minutes ago, stevebecker said:

Thanks, yes shown in May 1917 with the Welsh Regt but in Aug 1917 he shows 2nd Res Cav Regt?

Either two officers or perhaps one that was quickly moved on.

?

Just seemed close(ish) match(es) with the service record in your OP

??

;-) M

Edit: Other, later, LG [promotions to Lt & relinquishng comm.] for "W T Anthony" seem to suggest two officers with same name but one in WR and other in 2nd Res Regt. of Cav.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit.

Mate,

Possibly but documents (Britsh) in his AIF record show between April 1917 to Aug 1917 he was with the British Cavalry Cadet School Netheravon before he gained his commision?

Cheers

S.B

Just now, stevebecker said:

Possibly but documents (Britsh) in his AIF record show between April 1917 to Aug 1917 he was with the British Cavalry Cadet School Netheravon before he gained his commision?

???

Just reporting that there are two sets of LG entries for William Thomas ANTHONY and W T ANTHONY

Not normal for a single officer but ...

???

Does this help [from the first link above]:

War Office, 23rd May, 1917. REGULAR FORCES. The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.). 26th Apr. 1917 : —  ... Welsh R.— ... William Thomas Anthony

Note the "attd."

???

:-) M

Mate,

No worries, history is fun.

All adds to the story

So he was made T/2/Lt in the Welsh Regt in April 1917 but when he gained his commision that was into the Cavalry

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

1 hour ago, stevebecker said:

NOK at Penlaw Kidwelly Wales

Should be    Penlan, Kidwelly, Wales.

Sorry, can't tell you exactly where that was...yet!

Edit:

Maybe one of two farms just north of the village, Penlan Isaf (Lower Penlan) or Penlan Uchaf (Upper Penlan).

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Mate,

Sorry yes it is Penlan

Parish St Marys Carmarthen South Wales

Mother Mrs Bridget Anthony 

Other Soldier

Harold Anthony 

from Cilviethy Kidwelly Carmarthen Wales

Enlisted at the same time and with the same AIF Light Horse Regt 

I had thought they were brothers but I am unsure as his NOK is his father John Anthony ?

I think he (William) served with the C Sqn 1/1 Pembroke Yeomanry pre war

Wales is not a place I am sure of.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Yes I saw him too on 'Lives of the ANZACS' but didn't look deeper.

His NOK address should be Cilfeithy Farm , again  a couple of miles north of Kidwelly, and a mile or so from the Penlan Farms.

The attached screengrab of the area from the current OS map (Crown Copyright), shows Cilfeithy in square 3910, and the Penlans in 4008. (Scale - 1km squares).

Cydweli - Kidwelly.pdf

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I am convinced that you have the wrong man, I don’t think the Welsh Regiment officer can be the same: This is what I have on the William Thomas Anthony of the Welsh Regiment.

Anthony,W.T: 13th Bn: T/2Lt: 26.4.17: T/2Lt. W.T.Anthony (13th Bn.) to be T/Lt. 26.10.18. William Thomas Anthony, Pte. No.34510, Welsh Regt. renumbered
Pte. No.TR4-16590, commissioned 2Lt. Welsh Regt.

Appears in Who's Who in Wales 1937:- "Address, Brynhawddgar, Llwynhendy, Llanelly, b. Aug. 6th 1892; s. of Thomas & Elizabeth Anthony; ed. Llwynhendy School, Llanelly County, Bangor & Cardiff Univ. Coll. Paris & Grenoble; m 1924, Annie Elizabeth Jones, Newmarket Wales. Asst. Master of Stebonheath Central Boys School, Llanelly; ex-Ch. Llanelly and District Sch. Rugby Union; Ex-Ch Llanelly branch Welsh Nationalist Party. Sec. Llanelly Branch of the Welsh League of Youth. W.A. Lieut. Welsh Regt. France 1915-1918. Pol; Welsh Nationalist Party (Plaid Genedlaethol Cymru). Rel: Independent (Congregationalist); Club: Welsh Nationalist, Llanelly: Recr: Art Work, Motoring, Golf. Languages. Listed in UCB Roll (1917), entered college 1911, served with Bangor OTC, listed in 1917 as Welsh Regt (no rank stated). Listed in the Nominal Roll of the Officers of 13th Bn Welsh Regt., which notes that he embkd., 10.7.17. Adm 131 FA, 3.6.18. (sprain or fracture left ankle). 9.6.18. To duty. Rejoined Bn.
10.6.18. Adm 131 FA (P.U.O.) 18.6.18. Adm 10 BRX (P.U.O.) 24.6.18. To Medical Base Depot for Med Board, 13.7.18. Medical Board B (1 week). Adm 2 BRX (sickness) 29.7.18. Granted sick leave 29.7.18. Rejoined from leave 20.8.18. Medical Board held 21.8.18. (dentures). Medical Board 6.9.18. (classified A). To Unit 9.9.18. To 39 GH (VDS) 27.9.18. To Rouen 25.10.18. To Bn. 1.11.18. BWM
& VM (2Lt.). No address on MIC

Dave

59 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I am convinced that you have the wrong man,

Yes I agree.

The Kidwelly  AIF man is

William Thomas Anthony.

Of Penlan Farm, St. Mary's  [parish] Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire.

1891 Census has W.T. [sic.] Anthony aged 2 yrs living with mother Bridget (agrees with Attestation form) and father Daniel at Penlan Issaf [Isaf or Issaf = Lower]. See map above.

Daniel Anthony marries Bridget Edwards in 1878.

GRO Register gives a William Thomas Anthony born December quarter 1888 in Llanelly district to a mother with maiden name Edwards. (Volume No 11a 833)