Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help ID a German 98/05 W.W. Unit Marking ?

ersatz

I recently acquired a Prussian 1898/05 aA Sawback bayonet with matching numbered scabbard.  Maker is C.G. Haenel, dated W12.  The left cross guard and scabbard throat are marked W.W. 7095.  The right cross guard has the number 8039 .  I know the W.W. is a Navy designation referring to the Wilhelmshaven Dockyard (Werft Wilhelmshaven).    However, I would like to know what the numbers 7095, and 8039 refer to.  Any input would be very much appreciated.  

7095 or 8039 are inventory nimers inside the unit (here dockyard) . 

Numer must be the same for sidearm and scabbard

There was an " internal"  and perhaps accidental exchange of scabbard inside the unit, long time ago.

Cheers

Gabelou 

The nummer was identical for firearm 98 system and S98/05 bayonet, one of this is probably older number which should be striked or doted out normally, but sometimes it remained there.

Thank you both for your input!  My thoughts were that the 7095 was a Navy personnel number and the 8039 was a dock or ships number, or visa versa.  

I apologize for not including photos of the bayonet markings earlier.  Here they are......................

WW1.JPG

WW2.JPG

Thanks Ersatz. More clear with the picture.

Obviousely the scabbard and bayonnet correspond. The second number7095 is the original arm number inside the WW unit.

8035 is an other inventory number, perhaps later. A lot of possibilities ( post 1919 by inteallied commission, captured by Polisch army, others ?..) 

Same opinion,You have wrong side attached the blade  into scabbard,unit should be under same unit,the 8039? is different font,most real inventory,i dont see here any polish sign of using.

Regarding the scabbard..........  as the bayonet is a sawback with the early leather scabbard, the blade sheaths easiest in & out the way it is pictured.  I've noticed that the springs in the throat of an early leather scabbard become problematic once the leather shrinks.  So, which ever way it sheaths easiest works just fine.  

QUESTION:  Can someone explain why a sawback bayonet would be issued to a dockyard?  Surely, in such an environment there would be more appropriate and sophisticated tools for workers to use.   Or, is the sawback factor related to the NCO chain of command?  

Its a tool used by pioneer units mainly. When not rotated mouth piece, the sawback spine has correct hole in mouthpiece of scabbard, so wrong way assembly should be prevented.

Edited by AndyBsk