Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Rowland South Lancashire Regt.

Laticsman

Can anyone help? My mother's friend has a medal she found years ago and recently unearthed it again from a draw, think it's a 1st world war medal as it has 1914-1918 on one side and a king George picture on the other .on the edge of the medal it has the following inscription  "2048  pte W Rowland  s lan.r  "  would  like to pass it on to the soldiers family if possible, anyone any ideas  please  thanks Pete 

He was William Rowland, Pte. 2048 (later renumbered 200464), South Lancashire Regiment.

Discharged under Para.392 (xvi) of the King's Regulations, meaning he was by that permanently unfit for military service.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1262/images/30850_A001350-00716?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=3399e4f6a185e4b61791087c5e1d8e6f&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ekf1814478&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=4834003

There might therefore be a pension card or record for him with a contemporary  address.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• Admin

Welcome to the Forum

I think this is his Medal Index Card.

The number 2048 is written a bit awkwardly and has been transcribed by Ancestry as 20315.

He was evidently re-numbered to 200464

Regards

Russ

(Image courtesy of Ancestry)

2048.JPG

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

He was William Rowland, Pte. 2048 (later renumbered 200464), South Lancashire Regiment.

Discharged under Para.392 (xvi) of the King's Regulations, meaning he was by that permanently unfit for military service.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1262/images/30850_A001350-00716?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=3399e4f6a185e4b61791087c5e1d8e6f&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ekf1814478&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=4834003

There might therefore be a pension card or record for him with a contemporary  address.

• Admin

He received 3 medals - the 1914/1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

He also received a Silver War Badge - the roll for which states he enlisted on 05/08/1914 and was discharged on 09/09/1918 (as noted on his MIC)

His medal roll shows he served with the 1/4th Battalion of the South Lancashire Regiment.

Regards

Russ

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Laticsman said:

thanks russ your help is greatly appreciated, do you think I should email the south Lancashire regiment directly?

What would you intend to ask them?

2 hours ago, Laticsman said:

Maybe they can advise me where/how to return the lost medal??

Hi Pete. Fold3 hold the following that may help to track down a relative. William Rowland died on the 21st November 1920 with his widow recorded as Alice Rowland, date of birth 21st November 1886. The address on the Pension Ledgers is 26 School Brow, Warrington, Lancs or in the name Alice Dean, Church Street, Warrington, Lancs. 

Fold3 and Ancestry both have seven day free trials at the moment should you wish to view these documents and which may assist you in searching family trees. 

12 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

William Rowland died on the 21st November 1920

The William Rowland who died in the Warrington District in the October to December quarter of 1920 was aged 35, so born circa 1885. There is no obvious civil probate for him.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there are two William Rowlands’ of roughly the right age associated with Warrington. However I think the most likely match is the married 25 year old Labourer William Rowland, born Warrington, who was recorded as the head of the household at 62, School Brow, Warrington.

He lives there with his wife of five years, Alice, aged 24, and born Warrington.

(That would tie in with the date of birth quoted by @Gunner 87 )

The couple have had four children so far, of which three were then still alive. (All four are actually listed on the census return, but one entry has been crossed through)

Daniel Rowland, aged 4, born Warrington.

Lena Rowland, aged 2, born Warrington.

Nellie Rowland, born Warrington, entry struck through.

Alice Rowland, aged 5 months, born Warrington.

The marriage of a William Rowland to an Alice Hill was recorded in the Warrington District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1906 – although that would mean they had not been married 5 years by the time the 1911 Census was taken on the 2nd April 1911. As usual I suspect a combination of the childrens age and poor maths – this was the first census return completed by the householder!

I can see potentially three additional children of this couple in the birth records of England and Wales, all recorded in the Warrington District with the mothers’ maiden name Hill.

William, (Q1 1912), Henry, (Q2 1914) and James, (Q4 1915).

But at least that gives you children and their descendants to track down – too often with these kind of requests the soldier concerned had no children of their own, and frequently had no living siblings, a possible explanation why no one is looking for the missing medal.

School Brow, Warrington fell with the Church Parish of St Elphins. There is a free online source for baptisms for that parish but it only goes up to 1907.

Could be a co-incidence but the marriage of an Alice Rowland to a Joseph Dean was recorded in the Warrington District in Q4 1922. The banns were read at St Elphin’s, Warrington on the 17th December 1922, and her father was stated to be a James Hill. She was then aged 33. (I suspect Alice may have made herself a year younger for her new younger husband).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3BD-41W

On the 1939 Register I believe the relevant family are to be found living living at 9 Swan Meadow Inn, Pottery Road, Wigan, Lancashire. One of the general problems with the Register are that family relationships are not stated, so have to be implied. Something else to be aware of is that entries will only be visible if the individuals were known by the NHS to be dead prior to 1993 or they are over 100 years old. There are no closed entries for this address.

The four members of the household are:-

Joseph Dean, Married, born 26th January 1890, a Coal Dealer & Public House Licensee

Alice Dean, Married, born 21st November 1887, unpaid domestic duties

James Rowland, Single, born 27th October 1915, Cotton Weaver

Eliza Dean, (subsequently Rigby), Single, born 16th July 1923, Clerk Typist at a Fertiliser Works and Tar Distillery. (Eliza most likely changed her name on marriage – the amendment is dated 12.4.45. The civil records show the marriage of an Eliza Dean to a Thomas Rigby in the Wigan District in Q1 1945).

Working through the children of William & Alice Rowland.

1)     Daniel Rowland. The birth of a Daniel Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q1 1907. The baptism of a Daniel Rowland, born 2nd January 1907, took place at St. Elphin on the 13th January 1907. Parents were William and Alice Rowland, and the family were then living at 18 School Bow. https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Warrington/stelphin/index.html   There is no obvious match for Daniel on the 1939 Register. The nearest thing to a match in the civil death records is that of a 22 year old Daniel Rowland in the Wigan District in Q4 1929, but that could be a complete co-incidence. Another co-incidence could be that a Daniel Rowland married a Catherine Costello in the Wigan District in Q2 1929.

2)     Lena Rowland. The birth of a Lena Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q3 1907. The death of a Lena Rowland, aged 3, was recorded in the Warrington District in Q3 1911. No obvious marriage or death, so I suspect this was the child of William and Alice.

3)     Nellie Rowland. The birth of an Ellen Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q3 1909. The death of an Ellen Rowland, aged under 1, was recorded in the Warrington District in Q4 1909.

4)     Alice Rowland. The birth of an Alice Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q4 1910. No obvious marriage in England & Wales,  no obvious match on the 1939 Register, no obvious entry in the civil death records for England & Wales – although the ones I have access to only go up to 2007.

5)     William Rowland. The birth of a William Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q1 1912.  May be a co-incidence but the death of a William Rowland, aged 5, was recorded in the Warrington District in Q4 1917.

6)     Henry Rowland. The birth of a Henry Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q2 1914. (There is a death of a Henry Rowland recorded in the Warrington District in Q2 1986, but his date of birth was the 7th July 1914, so unless that was incorrect, he can be ruled out). The only match for a Henry Rowland on the 1939 Register in Warrington is the 7th July 1914 born man. He was married, so a marriage certificate would show who his father was, his fathers occupation, and whether still alive. The 1939 Register isn’t bringing up any other candidates.

7)     James Rowland. The birth of a James Rowland, mothers’ maiden name Hill, was registered in the Warrington District in Q4 1915. There are possible deaths elsewhere in Lancashire for an adult James Rowland, but none in the Warrington District. However as we have probably encountered James on the 1939 Register living with his mother and stepfather, he is probably the James Rowland, born 27th October 1915, whose death was recorded in the Wigan District in Q4 1991. However no obvious civil probate. There are marriages recorded in the Wigan District for a James Rowland in Q4 1940 (Winifred Ashton) and Q2 1952 (Eileen Pennington). Without certificates there is probably no simple way to confirm either or both involve the 1915 born James.

So several possible lines of enquiry, principly involved James, Henry and Alice. For both they and the others it shouldn’t be forgotten that they could have emigrated, (or at least moved outside England & Wales), or they could have taken a step-fathers surname, as they were comparatively young.

From a genealogy perspective I’d recommend getting the relevant bith, marriage and death cerificates at this stage to try and confirm the information above isn’t just a lot of co-incidences – but that’s probably not an expense you’d want to go to.

15 hours ago, Laticsman said:

thanks I'm not a member of ancestry site so cannot access your link is there anywhere else I could look ?

Most of the above has been pulled together from free websites like

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

It’s always worth trying Facebook, as well as the free parts of the Companies House directory and LinkedIn. And of course a straight google search.

And all the main genealogy services offer free trials – you just need to be aware of the need to cancel your subscription if you don’t want to start picking up charges.

However if you live in the UK, most local Library services subscribe to either Ancestry or FindMyPast. Usually you have to be onsite and using one of their computers, but during the pandemic many library services have come to an arrangement allowing access from home computers. It might be worthwhile checking out the website of your local library service to see what is on offer. Even recent announcements about libraries being able to re-open doesn’t seem to extend to restricting access to online services to libray PC’s only – my own county libray service for instance is making a fews PC’s available at a handful of the larger premises for completion of the census only, and these have to be booked 7 days in advance. So I’m expecting home access to continue for several more months.

If you can get access to Ancestry there is always the possibility that someone is researching the family tree. Additionally you can add comments to records like his Medal Index card and Medal Roll and Pension Cards saying you have the medal.

15 hours ago, Laticsman said:

do you think I should email the south Lancashire regiment directly?

Regimental Museums don’t hold service records. The most likely source they might have that could be of use is if they have an enlistment register, and even then it’s unlikely to give anything more than age when he enlisted. It might have whether he was married or single, had dependants, and address, (or at least some of them), but I wouldn’t count on it.

They are very unlikely to have anything that will assist you with tracking down living descendants – the most likely outcome is they will be able to provide information that helps increase the certainty you are looking at the right family.

Hope that helps,

Peter

A great help thank you for your efforts, I will try the library services first and if no joy there will sign up for a free trial with one of the sites you suggest and try and trace a living relative of pte Rowland, it would be fantastic to return it to them and will keep you informed on here of the outcome 

P.s as a point of interest regarding the above comments, the medal was found in Wigan, which is where I am from ,my mums friend says she found it about 40 years ago but only recently unearthed it from the back of a draw.