Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for medals to Midshipman Edward Robert Lingen-Burton, R.N.R. (I have his 1914/15 Star

anzac sailor

anzac sailor

6th March 2021

Hello Gents,

My name is Michael Charteris, I'm ex R.A.N. from Australia, and this is my first post to the GWF.

Let me take this opportunity to say thankyou for letting me join such esteemed company.

From time to time, I write up my research on the singles, broken groups and groups in my collection.

These articles often appear in Medal News

I recently picked up a 1914/15 Star to Midshipman Edward Robert Lingen-Burton R.N.R.

I then went to Google and typed in Medals to search his name....

And  amazingly 10 years to the Day, there was a post from the GWF dated 5th March 2011 from gunner 100.

It concerned a WW1 BWM named to Lt. E.R. Lingen-Burton, and he was looking for details on this man.

So I know its a decade to the day, but I was wondering if gunner100 was still a member, and would like to make contact.

I would love purchase the BWM to put the group back together if something can be worked out.

I also have a few other Broken groups I would like to share the details with you as well in the chances of a Re-unite

Trusting this is Ok for a subject on the Forum as it is my first venture into such things

I look forward to any replies Gents

Yours Sincerely

Mike Charteris

Anzac Sailor

Edited by anzac sailor
Spelling Mistakes
Gunner 87

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

I just looked up gunner100 it doesn't appear he has visited since the 28th January 2018 but you could always try a personal message and I have tagged him to this thread so should he log will see it. @gunner100

Edward Robert Lingen - Burton has multiple records on Fold3, the one I attach and also appearing in the Navy Lists from 1913 as a Midshipman through to 1940 as a Temporary Lieutenant. At present Fold3 has a seven day free trial that maybe useful to you in this instance. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 04.04.23.png

Edited by Gunner 87
The Inspector

Hi Mike,

For your info. there is a public tree on Ancestry...here....https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/46015063/person/48578588416/facts

If you are on Ancestry you can leave a message in any of the "Write a comment" boxes on screen. That's how I obtained some medals from a collector who had done just that and we did a swop. 

I suggest you look at the original post from Peter Thompson, Gunner 100, and read the acknowledgements  listed at the bottom.

Google "Poppy Medal Framing" and it should take you to Peter's own web site with a phone number and address. Google image shows shop still there in Sept 2020. although there was a "Closing Down Sale" notice in the window. 

SENT YOU A PM RE A DEATH NOTICE REPORTED 22nd June, 2019 in the "Shropshire Star" for a Peter Henry Thompson, Oswestry, Shropshire, aged 80 yrs. hopefully not our PAL.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector
2 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Mike,

For your info. there is a public tree on Ancestry...here....https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/46015063/person/48578588416/facts

If you are on Ancestry you can leave a message in any of the "Write a comment" boxes on screen. That's how I obtained some medals from a collector who had done just that and we did a swop. 

I suggest you look at the original post from Peter Thompson, Gunner 100, and read the acknowledgements  listed at the bottom.

Google "Poppy Medal Framing" and it should take you to Peter's own web site with a phone number and address. Google image shows shop still there in Sept 2020. although there was a "Closing Down Sale" notice in the window. 

SENT YOU A PM RE A DEATH NOTICE REPORTED 22nd June, 2019 in the "Shropshire Star" for a Peter Henry Thompson, Oswestry, Shropshire, aged 80 yrs. hopefully not our PAL.

Regards Barry

I last saw Peter in late 2019, he has a good few years left in him before reaching 80. 

The Inspector

Hi GWF1967,

Good, nice to know. Apparently he has moved away from Oswestry and stated he may not open another shop but work from home

Perhaps this may help  Gunner 87to follow up...www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/18697895.oswestry-town-centre-shop-close-11-years/

Regards Barry