Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medicine and the Great War: a tentative bibliography

seaJane

Update: I am planning to start another thread with the latest (and I hope final, or at least final-ish) version. That's the only reason that I have deleted the version here and asked for the thread to be locked - just to keep things tidier, I hope,

I have collated the results of a lot of searches that I have done for various people in the last seven or eight years. The result is absolutely not the final word on the subject, nor is it intended to be comprehensive, but if I don't stop now I'll drive myself up the wall trying to ensure that I have everything! (I am not going to add every single article in the Journals of the RAMC and RNMS, for example, let alone all the Forces news supplements in the British Medical Journal.)

For what it's worth I attach the resulting pdf. If anyone wants the Word document so that they can alter it, print it out and scribble on it, or whatever, let me know via Personal Message and I'll e-mail it to you.

Have fun!

seaJane

Edited by seaJane

Jane- A lovely piece of work and the links to online sources are particularly useful. I have already found a couple of items of interest that illumine the fate of some of my local casualties. Congratulations!

There was a short bibliography printed in the 70s or 80s I will try in the next week to find it and scan it.

Congratulations!

Thank you :)

On 05/03/2021 at 07:45, MartH said:

There was a short bibliography printed in the 70s or 80s I will try in the next week to find it and scan it.

Thanks very much - but don't get yourself into copyright trouble! 

19 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Thanks very much - but don't get yourself into copyright trouble! 

Well I have to find it first, and normally I can place my hand on a bibliography, I can see the cover here, but can't remember where it is.... 

2 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Well done Jane.

Thank you :)

32 minutes ago, MartH said:

can't remember where it is.... 

Know the feeling!

I realised that there was a book staring me in the face which I hadn't added. So there's a second edition ....

• 2 weeks later...

A Memorial volume from "Guy's Hospital Reports" has an unusual selection of contributions, incl even some Naval and one on setting up a library in a PoW camp, just for sJ !

Available on archive org

Here are Contents pages; something for everyone:

GuysHospitalReportsWarMemNumbera.JPG.a49bb336f5496aab6659020bd443d824.JPGGuysHospitalReportsWarMemNumberb.JPG.5dff6587e0c4b1b9315273196d755cb7.JPGGuysHospitalReportsWarMemNumberc.JPG.d64023e9e61bbeb0e03d8ae5cc5b0bf6.JPGGuysHospitalReportsWarMemNumberd.JPG.fa8b5f701f96bb6e82b81a200faa6882.JPG

On 05/03/2021 at 02:11, seaJane said:

if I don't stop now I'll drive myself up the wall trying to ensure that I have everything!

Well, we certainly don't want you to be driven up the wall :o

but, if you should ever think about adding to your already very useful bibliography

then allow me to suggest 'Allenby's Military Medicine' by Eran Dolev for possible inclusion

http://ndl.ethernet.edu.et/bitstream/123456789/78132/1/24.pdf

[with thanks for the pdf in post 1 above]

*cackle* okay, on it goes.

First post now edited to link to updated, third, edition. :)

4th edition incoming, thanks to some information from @David Filsell among others.

You will have noticed that there are no nursing texts or memoirs: I thought they deserved a bibliography of their own, if indeed the late and much-missed Sue Light did not cover everything in http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/.

Edited by seaJane

6 hours ago, charlie962 said:

But those articles in The Guy's Memorial give a good taster ?

True. And there is a particularly useful article (not nursing, but by a civilian in the RN Medical Service) that a colleague of mine is very thankful for.

sJ

Up to the 5th edition. I have been able to find links to several more early pieces available online.

Thank you :)

6th ed. A few more influenza articles.

No :D but thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this.  There's another excellent resource online, A Bibliography of Great War Medicine, here: http://www.gilliesarchives.org.uk/Qmbiblio1.htm  Lots of excellent sources, many of them open access online via the Internet Archive or Gutenberg.

Derek

5 hours ago, derekjgregory said:

another excellent resource

Thank you Derek. I am working through a long bibliography of military medicine at the moment, and extracting material of GW interest. I think (for reasons, but chiefly because of the Gillies connection) that it is the ancestor of the one you link to. [Edit: it has some of the exact same typos that have made a few titles hard to verify; so, although it considerably enlarged from its original, I think what I am adding to my bibliography now is indeed that original].

I will go through the material at your link to check for additional titles - eventually...

Edited by seaJane

8 pages still to go. Next time I have a bright idea like this, remind me not to! :doh:

When you have finished those Jane, you might want to cross check with the SCS Bibliography of the Salonika Campaign. Quite a few medical items are included. All titles and links can be copied and pasted, which might save you some time. Relatively heavy on malaria especially.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts