Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a banner behind a group photo

BillyH

The photo attached below is of a group of Cheshire soldiers, it must have been taken later in the war because the men in the bottom corners both have 4 overseas chevrons.

One of the other men is known to me, and he served in France until 1917 at which point he was posted to Salonika with the 12th Bn. So I suspect that the photo was taken there.

The question is, can anyone identify the banner in the background? The wording is half hidden but the tower might be a giveaway to someone with more knowledge than myself.

BillyH.

668495820_gwf2.jpg.4d55bc28f23d68195c02f318cc9eb243.jpg

gwf.jpg.7eadd5012886dd916edd001bcd6e9640.jpg

Surely its a photographers backdrop 

which indicates the photo could have been taken anywhere

Well it definitely starts with TOUR so could be Tournai or Tourcoing

Looks like it ends with ..UERAT although only being able to see the upper part of the 'U', it could be a H, K, M, N, V, X or Y

I think that it is not a studio photograph for surely that is tents behing them. I think that particular tent has, in typical Tommie humour, been given a sign "Touring ........  herat".

3 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I think that it is not a studio photograph

Jim, I'm not saying its a studio photo,  but a photographers backdrop placed behind the soldiers

5 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Jim, I'm not saying its a studio photo,  but a photographers backdrop placed behind the soldiers

Ah, pedantics. Why would a photographer place a backdrop behind the soldiers "in the field" ? As for the opening post, by BillyH I an not sure that is a tower but the opening into the tent - could be either.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

5 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Ah, pedantics. Why would a photographer place a backdrop behind the soldiers "in the field" ?

Because there is a message on it

look to the left, the tent you see is behind the building

I rest my case

TOUR could be just that - tower in french. Notice there is a tower in the left background. Maybe it refers to that?:)

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Why would a photographer place a backdrop behind the soldiers "in the field" ? As for the opening post, by BillyH I an not sure that is a tower but the opening into the tent - could be either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The more I look at it now I think it is a tent with stencilled writing on it, and what I thought was an image of a tower is the opening into a tent that is stacked with boxes!

BillyH.

19 minutes ago, BillyH said:

opening into a tent that is stacked with boxes

That's what it looks like to me, too.

Could the stencil refer to the contents of the boxes?

11 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

4 blue OS chevrons must be 1919 or later.

Four stripes can (more or less) represent anything between 3 years and 1 days overseas service up to just under 4 years overseas service. So four blue stripes is possible for most/all of their issue in 1918 as well.

What I see.

Soldiers in the European war, a couple of wound stripes. Overseas chevrons as before.

Only one man with medal ribbons, which could help date it.

Yes, I'd say a tent or covered wagon, inside which are wooden crates, like tomato trays (or similar).

The writing? I'm guessing a French business name, or surname, followed by a place name.

On 04/03/2021 at 03:58, temptage said:

Well it definitely starts with TOUR so could be Tournai or Tourcoing

Looks like it ends with ..UERAT although only being able to see the upper part of the 'U', it could be a H, K, M, N, V, X or Y

Most likely H or U given that the letter doesn't seem to have the oblique stroke(s) of the other options. Like DByS, my vote is for a French name.

Now the more I look at the picture the more I see a picture of a Tower behind the men, and not a pile of boxes or crates. If you look towards the right hand side behind the men it looks like the tops of a row of trees, or maybe a hillside, so could be a vista of a town or city, along with its name, printed on the tent.

The 'tower' looks very much like, in design' the Galata Tower in Istanbul

13 minutes ago, temptage said:

Now the more I look at the picture the more I see a picture of a Tower behind the men, and not a pile of boxes or crates. If you look towards the right hand side behind the men it looks like the tops of a row of trees, or maybe a hillside, so could be a vista of a town or city, along with its name, printed on the tent.

The 'tower' looks very much like, in design' the Galata Tower in Istanbul

Having looked at it again....and again...

I think you are absolutely correct bout it being a vista.

It is some sort of  painted backdrop on fabric.

You can see wrinkles in the fabric in the top right hand corner.

Not convinced it's Turkey though,Turkey didn't adopt the Western alphabet until the mid 1920s...

This has all the makings of a psychological test...

" Do you see tomatoes, or do you see Istanbul?"

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Two questions. Are we sure that they are men of the Cheshire Regiment?  Could the banner relate to Cherat (was India, now Pakistan) where quite a few British regiments found themselves based?

7 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Not convinced it's Turkey though,Turkey didn't adopt the Western alphabet until the mid 1920s...

Im not saying it is Turkey, but it could well be Middle Eastern or even eastern Mediterranean....Greece, Israel, Cyprus, Iraq, Egypt

1 minute ago, temptage said:

Im not saying it is Turkey, but it could well be Middle Eastern or even eastern Mediterranean....Greece, Israel, Cyprus, Iraq, Egypt

Could be, yes.

The tower does have an Arabic or Byzantine air about it.

It's possible that "Tour" refers to the tower illustrated on the canvas while the full name is in the French grammatical style of "Tour Eiffel" "Tour Montparnasse" "Tour de force".. For the ..ERAT to be that far to the right from TOUR implies longer wording is hidden in the middle. I could be wrong of course.