Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More names from Wolf's book

stevenbecker

Mates,

A couple of names from Wolf's book I had trouble with?

Philipp    VzFeuerwerker Marine    Ingenieuroberaspirant (officer candidate) Ordnance Plt Commander Bosphorus     1915-16    shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Philipp (Philip) Eugen    FähnrichzS to LtzS Marine    Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando Usedom) - to Pilot Airforce  shown German Seaplane Sqn (Wasserfliegerabteilung) 9-18     1914-18    shown Friedrichshafen FF39 with FähnrichzS Liphard (P) in raid on Lemnos 24-9-18 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen) shown No 1 Sqn in Klaus Wolf's Book (not identified)?

Eugen Philipp is confirmed as a Flieger during 1918, but not why Wolf shows him in Turkey between 1914 to 1918

Any ideas welcome

S.B

Eugen Philipp, born December 25, 1886, Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie as of February 18, 1916, EKII in the 1918 Rangliste, where not listed as an aviator (pilot or observer).

The Ehrenrangliste lists him with the Sonderkommando as a Flieger to April 1918, then I. Seeflg. Abt. to September 1918, then Wasserfliegerabt. Türkei to the end of the war. So yes, I agree it's unclear exactly what he was doing in Turkey for much of the war before he was qualified as a pilot or observer.

Mate,

Thank you again. did you have any record of

Philipp    VzFeuerwerker Marine    Ingenieuroberaspirant (officer candidate) Ordnance Plt Commander Bosphorus 

is he the same men as above?

Another in Wolf

Rüdiger    ObLtzS Marine    SMS Breslau awarded EK II 4-16 (not identified)? shown in book by Klaus Wolf

I was checking other men who served in Raiders and this man shown up

Rüdiger Walter  Kapt-Lt 1st officer auxiliary cruiser SMS Leopard      (born at Berlin KIA 16-3-17) possibly SMS Leopard sunk with all hands (318 men + 6 British PoW's) in the North Sea by cruiser HMS Achilles 16-3-17 

Can you find them or are they different men?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

The Rüdiger you are after is Helmut Rüdiger, born October 17, 1894, Crew 1913, and promoted to Leutnant zur See on September 18, 1915. He was on Kaiser as a Fähnrich zur See through August 1915, then is on Breslau through June 1917. He ends the war doing submarine stuff, ending up as the WO on the High Sea Fleet's UB 64. Promoted to the character of an Oberleutnant zur See on December 27, 1919 when already out of service. German decorations per the 1918 Rangliste is just the EKII.