Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a pension record Part 2

pudsey63

I’m really struggling to make sense of the unit crossed through, which presumably goes with the number also crossed out. Admin error or change of plan? Any thoughts much appreciated.

80C8C4B4-CB40-4126-8AEA-EF1E185E5F60.jpeg

Guess would be either either "Command Rest Stn for R.E. (I.W.T)"  or "Command Post Stn for R.E. (I.W.T)" though I'm doubtful about the second word in both those guesses.

The forming of the capital "R" in Rest wouldn't match the "R" in R.E

The forming of the capital "P" in Post wouldn't match  the "P" in the surname Page.

The forming of the first (capital) letter in the second word is also different to the formation of the first (capital) letter in the third which for me ruled out the possibility of "Serv. Stn".

So two to get you started :)

Cheers,

Peter

31 minutes ago, PRC said:

So two to get you started

Thanks Peter. I’m thinking IWT is Inland Water Transport?

Edited by pudsey63

23 minutes ago, pudsey63 said:

I’m thinking IWT is Inland Water Transport?

In this context, yes it is :)

• 2 weeks later...

I never know why Ancestry call these "Pension" records - but it caught my eye because of !!!

I would perhaps call them Service records

Any way / either way

I wondered if it perhaps read Command Seln Stn R.E (IWT) - as in Selection Station??

???

I noted in the later record mention of a Medical Bard but could not find a pension record card at WFA/Fold3

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
eye

25 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I never know why Ancestry call these "Pension" records - but it caught my because of !!!

I would perhaps call them Service records

Any way / either way

I wondered if it perhaps read Command Seln Stn R.E (IWT) - as in Selection Station??

???

I noted in the later record mention of a Medical Bard but could not find a pension record card at WFA/Fold3

They are from the WO364 records which were duplicate copies of the 'burnt service records'  and were kept in a different location from the those. As per the N/A the WO364 included

In order to supplement the surviving records, non-active files from the Ministry of Pensions at Blackpool relating to Army disability pensions for the First World War were passed to the new War Record Office at Droitwich in 1943. These files concerned pensioners who had since died or claims which had been refused and they were intended to be pulped for paper salvage. These records, which were kept separate from the 'burnt collation', were known as the '1914-1920 collation'.

The 'third collation' was compiled by extracting service record material from Ministry of Pensions files for pensions which were still in payment after 1938. When the Ministry of Pension files were due for destruction, the service record material was returned to the Ministry of Defence.

The medical cards include papers that were refiled for administrative purposes prior to the Second World War. They either survived the 1940 fire or had been held in another storage facility that was not bombed. This set of records also includes papers from the Second World War and later periods.

Craig

40 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

They are from the WO364 records which were duplicate copies of the 'burnt service records'  and were kept in a different location from the those. As per the N/A the WO364 included

Many thanks Craig.

That's that explained then.

Live & learn every day.

Just now, Matlock1418 said:

Many thanks Craig.

That's that explained then.

Live & learn every day.

Yes, but you were quite right though, they are service records .

It's just that they happened not to be fire damaged by virtue of being away from Arnside, by reason having been sent to a different part of the civil bureaucracy to discuss the virtue of a soldier's claim for a pension.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes, but you were quite right though, they are service records .

It's just that they happened not to be fire damaged by virtue of being away from Arnside, by reason having been sent to a different part of the civil bureaucracy to discuss the virtue of a soldier's claim for a pension.

Agreed, not quite so tatty round the edges though.

Has explained the source of the NA's designation and origin of Ancestry's too.

And why a partly different set of soldiers from the 'burnt records'.

On 03/03/2021 at 12:37, pudsey63 said:

I’m really struggling to make sense of the unit crossed through, which presumably goes with the number also crossed out. Admin error or change of plan? Any thoughts much appreciated.

80C8C4B4-CB40-4126-8AEA-EF1E185E5F60.jpeg

The puzzle still remains as to exactly what was crossed out in the OP.

There is a second similar entry within the file but it didn't help me any further

???

Thanks M. I’m glad it’s not just me.