Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers

Martin Lepley

Hi there,

I  can see from ancestry that there is a Pension Record Card for Private Fred HITCHCOCK 7734 of the 2nd Essex regiment, but I believe you require to pay more money for this data.

Can anyone tell me what information might be on this card please.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Martin Lepley said:

Hi there,

I  can see from ancestry that there is a Pension Record Card for Private Fred HITCHCOCK 7734 of the 2nd Essex regiment, but I believe you require to pay more money for this data.

Can anyone tell me what information might be on this card please.

Thanks

Your best bet is to sign up for the Western Front Association if you want to see more than one pension ledgers/cards as it's included in their membership.

The record in this case tells us that a 21s per week widows pension was paid from 24 June 1915 (following 26 weeks of separation allowance).

Craig

1 minute ago, Martin Lepley said:

Ok thanks. Does not sound like a lot of information though

Depends on what you're trying to get out of the information on the card - if you already know everything about a man then you'll not get much. If you don't then you can often pull out some good information.

Craig

Hi Martin,

I think that it's against Forum rules to effectively ask members to use their subs to do look ups. I guess that it might confirm when he died of wounds; the name of his wife; an address; and the names/DoBs of his son and daughter.

Regards

Chris

The WFA pension card data helped me find John Brown. He was one of about 80 possibles. The fact that for him, his address was on there, but unusually no NoK details, helped to to find the specific man I was after. 

What I have noticed which supplements the MIC data, is that for those men who re-enlisted, some of them have this indicated by a seven digit service number. This is yet another example of how this opens another avenue of research, in addition to being able to pinpoint a specific individual.

It is pot luck as to what is on a card. You can pay USD 79 for an annual subscription, or GBP 29 for membership of the WFA. 

Ok thanks. Looks like a good resource particularly via the Western Front Association, who are also doing some good online videos at the moment as well. Thanks chaps

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Your best bet is to sign up for the Western Front Association if you want to see more than one pension ledgers/cards as it's included in their membership.

Maybe, but Fold3 records are only about £36 p.a. extra on Ancestry membership, depending on the exchange rate (£ to $)

BillyH.