Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley MKVI finish formula?

dutchbarge

4 hours ago, Felix C said:

Fiocchi is the only maker now or are there more?

Yes, Fiocchi is the only manufacturer loading .455.   Their loading uses a lead bullet, not FMJ, but at the low velocity, leading isn't an issue.

4 hours ago, MikB said:

I believe Starline still makes brass in the US, and reloading shouldn't be too challenging if that's what's necessary. It's fair enough to leave it as is. You can still see much of the original surface texture, so I'd say it's pretty much owner's choice. Me, I'd blue it with G96, but I'm a barbarian... :D

As of this past summer, you're correct.  Finding .455 brass or any brass at a reasonably cost these days is tough.

The Webley just got better.........Forum members have confirmed that the stampings on the grip frame (see photo below) indicate that the revolver belonged to the 8th (Service) Battalion Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).  The acceptance stamp, "8. 15."  (August 1915) indicates that it most likely saw action during the Battle of Loos (25 Sept 1915).  

PS: Buffalo Arms is another good source of both Webley .455 Mark I (black powder) and MK2 ammo.

IMG_4078.JPG

Edited by dutchbarge

4 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

The Webley just got better.........Forum members have confirmed that the stampings on the grip frame (see photo below) indicate that the revolver belonged to the Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).  The acceptance stamp, "8. 15."  (August 1915) indicates that it most likely saw action during the Battle of Loos (25 Sept 1915).  

PS: Buffalo Arms is another good source of both Webley .455 Mark I (black powder) and MK2 ammo.

I thought someone would be doing it - a quick search on You Tube would make you guess there's enough interest in these revolvers in the states to justify some oufit running an operation to keep them shooting.

The round is an easy one to reload, that's true.  The problem is finding dies.  Dies for the .45 Colt (long Colt) are too long, unlike dies for the .44 Special and .44 magnum which use the same die set.  I think that Redding is the only company making dies for the .455 in the US and probably special order.  I found dies on eBay several years ago for under $60 US. It just isn't a popular round in the US.  When sold as surplus, many Webleys, S&Ws, and Colts were converted to .45 Colt or .45 ACP by milling the rear face of the cylinder down to accommodate the thicker rim.  There's also only one bullet mold made, a hollow base design.   Loaded ammunition can be had, but its pretty rare, either Gun Broker or a large seller like SG Ammo is a good bet for finding it.  Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, Old War Skule said:

The round is an easy one to reload, that's true.  The problem is finding dies.  

If you can get brass, I wonder if you might get away with .45 ACP dies and a .45 Long Colt shellholder?  Many dimensions are very close. Maybe shim the shellholder to close up the clearance on rim thickness, and turn a new expander a couple of thou larger? Just sayin'... :D

455 dies are made by Lee and Redding and aren't hard to get. Lee dies are under $60. No you don't want to use 45ACP dies. In fact when you load 45ACP or 45AR for a shaved Webley it is best to use the 455 die and 45ACP shell holder.  The 45ACP dies are enough undersize that case life will be shortened noticeably. The bullet mold will set you back a bit more. RCBS makes a single cavity mold. Mihec makes a really nice 4 cavity mold.  Cast or buy the right 265 grain hollow base bullet. 

It looks like Buffalo Arms is almost a "one stop shop" for the .455 Webley. 

.455 Webley at Buffalo Arms

32 minutes ago, Old War Skule said:

It looks like Buffalo Arms is almost a "one stop shop" for the .455 Webley. 

.455 Webley at Buffalo Arms

Is there any lightweight 45ACP ammo you recommend or should it be reloaded for those that were modified for importation to the USA. Have two, 455 and 45ACP

37 minutes ago, Felix C said:

Is there any lightweight 45ACP ammo you recommend or should it be reloaded for those that were modified for importation to the USA. Have two, 455 and 45ACP

When I've wanted a light .45 ACP load, I've usually used Winchester "white box."  Herter's, sold by Cabela's as their house brand is another good choice.  Most factory loaded ammunition is a bit on the light side, pressure-wise.  "Half moon" clips are readily available to make extraction easy.  Load them, shoot them, and most of all, enjoy them.

In the 1980s Fultons' window at Bisley was displaying a Webley quite severely blown up with .455 Mk.II ball fired wet (I think that was their explanation(!)). That suggests to me that risks with any standard .45 ACP loading shouldn't be ignored... :o

Edited by MikB

Please read through this thread if you shoot 45ACP or 45AR in a Webley. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/caution-re-455-revolvers-altered-to-shoot-45-acp-a-t9296.html

Pretty much any factory 45ACP load is way too hot for a Webley. If you have a shaved Webley your only safe course is to reload or to buy reloads from a reputable reloader.  Factory 45ACP loads, even though the bullet is lighter and a couple thou undersize it is still equivalent to a proof load. Aside from the risk of an exploded cylinder you risk bending the cylinder latch hinge pin.

17 minutes ago, reese williams said:

Please read through this thread if you shoot 45ACP or 45AR in a Webley. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/caution-re-455-revolvers-altered-to-shoot-45-acp-a-t9296.html

Pretty much any factory 45ACP load is way too hot for a Webley. If you have a shaved Webley your only safe course is to reload or to buy reloads from a reputable reloader.  Factory 45ACP loads, even though the bullet is lighter and a couple thou undersize it is still equivalent to a proof load. Aside from the risk of an exploded cylinder you risk bending the cylinder latch hinge pin.

I have never fired it due to the high pressure of the lightest 45ACP I have come across. Hear/read about light weight 45ACP, never have come across any.

Edited by Felix C

I had an 'adapter' I found a few years back on eBay which allowed me to shoot Webley .455 MKII rounds in a shaved cylinder MKVI.  The 'adapter' was simply a metal circle the diameter of the cylinder which had been drilled to accept .455 rounds.  Basically it simply replaced the metal that was shaved from the cylinder.  Worked perfectly.  I've seen a few MKVIs that have had a similar 'adapter' brazed to the cylinder, while visible if searched for, it undid the shaving.  My concern with this is if/how badly the brazing changed the cylinder's tempering.  I've since traded out/up from my last shaved cylinder revolver and shoot cordite Mark IIs in my MKVI and black powder Mark Is in my W.G.s.  Both from Buffalo Arms.  The W.G.s shoot the slightly longer Mark I cartridge and were proofed for black powder.  Buffalo Arms makes it so easy to safely shoot the W.G.s.  No searching for brass, bullets, dies, black powder......just buy it ready to go.  Hint: I've found that the easiest way to clean clean the black powder residue from a W.G. is to wait until my wife goes to the mall, then run it thru the dishwasher.  Cheers, Bill

9 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

My concern with this is if/how badly the brazing changed the cylinder's tempering. 

Cheers, Bill

I don't know what heat treatment Webley used , but brazing temperatures of upwards of 750 C would undoubtedly wipe it out completely. And any attempt to restore it would likely (a) defeat the braze and (b) probably depend on folklore from internet forums for its data. I'd feel much more confident if the 'restoration ring' had been glued on with Araldite or suchlike, and even then I'd hope it was done at room temperature. 

But fixing the disc in place produces a complication with the ejector star that isn't a problem with the loose version - unless you drop it on the floor in a timed course of fire... :huh:

Edited by MikB

It would be better to replace the cylinder, even though the serial numbers wouldn't match.