Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th (Western) Division in Mesopotamia.

PyroraptorOlympius1945

Any information on the 13th (Western) Div. in Mesopotamia throughout the course of 1916/17?

Any Corps level info will also be greatly appreciated (IX Corps).

6 of my relatives served in the 7th Gloucesters and one in the 9th Royal Warwicks (39th Brigade). Any information or photographs would be greatly appreciated.

Can I assume you've seen the Official History of the Campaign, available free through archive.org here ?

Charlie

The Mespot War Diaries have been digitised by National Archives and are available free to download at the moment. Searching on Discovery and putting "WO95 Mesopotamia" is a good starting point.

Forgive me if you know all this already.  FIBIS have some excellent research reference  pages on the campaign.

Edited by charlie962

8 hours ago, charlie962 said:

"WO95 Mesopotamia" is a good starting point.

There's quite a lot of material! Are there one or two overall documents that you would recommend?

Thanks

sJ

On 25/02/2021 at 01:13, seaJane said:

Are there one or two overall documents that you would recommend?

Not sure what the OP wants or knows already? But I merely suggest that to shortlist he starts a search with those key words. Next one could put "13 western division" and there are still 109 records produced. I'm sure there's something of interest there. 9th Warwicks and 7th Glocestershire are includes as well as the higher levels.  Moberly gives Orbats .  Whilst downloads are free, I suggest taking advantage of this and reading latterally- you never quite know what little gems show up in a neighbouring battalion's record or particularly in the medical and base unit diaries.

LongLongTrail shows 13 Div participated in the final efforts to try to relieve Kut where it suffered greatly, and then participated in Maude's successful campaign to recapture Kut and move on to Baghdad and beyond.

Charlie

Thanks @charlie962 - I should have been clearer. I was rather rudely taking advantage of the thread to ask my own question about any file that might cover the Mesopotamia experience in general.

• 1 month later...

I have an interest in 13th Division as I am researching a soldier who served with 8th Battalion Cheshire Regiment then 40th Brigade MGC in the Mesopotamia Campaign. I managed to obtain WDs for the 8th Btn Cheshire Regt 40th Brigade MGC together with the 40th Brigade HQ at the NA. The Brigade WD is of particular interest because it covers the casualty rate due to sickness and describes the difficult conditions that the men experienced which aren't covered in the unit WDs. It also includes details of the marching orders. Hope this is of interest

On 27/03/2021 at 06:40, Stevejm said:

I have an interest in 13th Division as I am researching a soldier who served with 8th Battalion Cheshire Regiment then 40th Brigade MGC in the Mesopotamia Campaign. I managed to obtain WDs for the 8th Btn Cheshire Regt 40th Brigade MGC together with the 40th Brigade HQ at the NA. The Brigade WD is of particular interest because it covers the casualty rate due to sickness and describes the difficult conditions that the men experienced which aren't covered in the unit WDs. It also includes details of the marching orders. Hope this is of interest

Thank you! I haven't been able to find any war diaries of the division - you don't mind sending a link do you? That would be brilliant!

3 hours ago, PyroraptorOlympius1945 said:

Thank you! I haven't been able to find any war diaries of the division - you don't mind sending a link do you? That would be brilliant!

I sent you a PM

On 24/02/2021 at 13:07, PyroraptorOlympius1945 said:

Any information on the 13th (Western) Div. in Mesopotamia throughout the course of 1916/17?

Any Corps level info will also be greatly appreciated (IX Corps).

6 of my relatives served in the 7th Gloucesters and one in the 9th Royal Warwicks (39th Brigade). Any information or photographs would be greatly appreciated.

i have a big interest in the 9th Royal warwick, can you tell me the name of your relative, i might have info on him. thanks

18 hours ago, Kev darby said:

i have a big interest in the 9th Royal warwick, can you tell me the name of your relative, i might have info on him. thanks

Hello Kev,

One of my relatives was Corporal Albert Pinchin, who was in the 9th Warwicks, then after having been wounded he was sent for service with the 48th (South Midland) Div., in the 1/5th Royal Warwicks. He was killed in the Battle of Broodseinde some 5 days before his brother Sydney, who was killed at Poelcappelle. 

Regards

hello thanks for post. im sorry all i have on on relative is his medal roll which shows he was one of the orginal men of the battalion which landed at Gallipoli on 13/07/15