Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge on MIC

Coldstreamer

Hello

I have a MIC to Pte J Budgett of the Coldstream Gds

He was discharged August 1915 and the MIC states

Badge 9.9.18 SWB file 5683/2/B - what does this mean? And where can I find the details? He is not on the SWB roll for the Coldstream Gds

Pte Budgett died in May 1917 and is commemmorated by the CWGC (not soldiers died though)

Any help appreciated

Cheers Ian

It suggests an issue of the SWB from that Roll ,which should be accessable @ the NA

• 5 months later...

Hello

Harry - thanks for the reply.

Further to this, I asked at the NA and they had no idea what roll he might be on if not on the Coldstream Gds one.

Do service papers ever mention the SWB details?

Ian

His papers may well give details of his Discharge,I am surprised however that the NA cannot help given that you are supplying the War Badge Roll Reference:

5683/2/B,

Hello

I have tried and cant find his papers. One for future research...

Ian

Ian,

I get to the PRO most Saturdays (not next as its bank holiday and the PRO is shut), but would you like me to have a look, on the following Saturday? I am not saying that I will find anything but wil have a shot at trying to get hold of the SWB roll that you require. As Harry says, it seems you have the reference so it should be available.

Alie.

Hello

If you could try it would be appreciated. This man got my interest as a SWB to a CWGC man must be unusual

Cheers Ian

Ian,

I get to the PRO most Saturdays (not next as its bank holiday and the PRO is shut), but would you like me to have a look, on the following Saturday? I am not saying that I will find anything but wil have a shot at trying to get hold of the SWB roll that you require. As Harry says, it seems you have the reference so it should be available.

Alie.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

Just to let you know that I did have a go at trying to find the SWB for Pte Budgett, and I must say I am stumped!

It appears that there should be some vowels before the numbers, to then match up with a WO 329 roll, and even on trying to make the first two numbers into some sort of vowels - I didn't get anywhere. There are also some 'old folio' numbers, but they did not match either. I thought that perhaps he might have another SWB MIC, but it seems that he only has the one MIC.

Oddly enough I was also researching another soldier today, that had on his MIC eligable for a SWB 20-1-19, but no reference to a roll, just to a LG date. Were there any restrictions on these badges?

I would be very interested if you do manage to get hold of the correct roll, as I am always keen to improve on my research knowledge of the PRO.

Alie.

Hello

Thanks for trying - another mystery to add to the pile

Ian

• 2 years later...

Ive got his papers now from ancestory and the Guards - no mention of SWB.