Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHATEAU WEYNINEX, ANTWERP/LIER - Location unknown

horatio2

In his divisional history "The Royal Naval Division" (p.26, Antwerp), Douglas Jerrold states that Hawke and Collingwood Battalions were in support of the RM Brigade "near Chateau Weyninex". I cannot locate this place but suspect it is (or was) near the Lier-Antwerp road.

It may be a gross mis-spelling. Can a Belgian member or Antwerp expert help, please?

Thank you, JWK. That fits the bill very nicely. The right of the RND defensive line north-west of Lier terminated at Hove on 6 October 1914..

How Weyninckhove became Weyninex (which defeats internet searches) is a mystery.

On 20/02/2021 at 22:11, horatio2 said:

Thank you, JWK. That fits the bill very nicely. The right of the RND defensive line north-west of Lier terminated at Hove on 6 October 1914..

How Weyninckhove became Weyninex (which defeats internet searches) is a mystery.

Old spelling: 'Weynincx'

Thank you, Niko, for information from the man -on-the-spot. Perhaps you could help with another mystery location mentioned several times in RND accounts:

I refer to the Chateau Rouge, Waesdonk. It is also noted as the site of a Cinema Film Factory and was the last reserve position of the RM Brigade 7 and 8 October.

Edited by horatio2

On 25/02/2021 at 14:27, horatio2 said:

Thank you, Niko, for information from the man -on-the-spot. Perhaps you could help with another mystery location mentioned several times in RND accounts:

I refer to the Chateau Rouge, Waesdonk. It is also noted as the site of a Cinema Film Factory and was the last reserve position of the RM Brigade 7 and 8 October.

Well, it took me some time, as Waasdonk was in 1914 a suburb of three communities: Deurne, Borsbeek and Mortsel. It largely disapeared when the Antwerp Airport was build.

Luckily, some small part of the area survived, and I was able to pinpoint Waasdonk as well as the Chateau Rouge in the Mortsel area, not too far from Fort4:

This is from a map of 1877, Waasdonk suburb in yellow, the Chateau Rouge is the blue square farthest left, between the triangle of roads:

waasdonk01.JPG.8b3709016be9d7187f2618c4457eb1d2.JPG

The same area now via google maps. The chateau rouge is in the red square:

waesdonk03.JPG.3ba911bfe3e23028ea0c570fd8a74278.JPG

And the Chateau Rouge, it still exisits today and is called the Varenthof.

waasdonk02.jpg.7220c7b7e9298ffde5d5d350bc1be5b8.jpg

The give-away was of course the Cinema Film Factory, as this is the site of Agfa-Geevaert, that still exists today. They also own the castle and was until recently, used as their archives building.

Another problem solved, I guess!

Greetings,

Niko.

Edited by Niko

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Niko

Many thanks. That is a most interesting set of maps and facts. Problem solved indeed!

In fact, I was first looking at old maps of Waasdonk in Deurne, that's close to the HQ of the 1st Naval Brigade when they were on the fortress line: Chateau Drakenhof. That also still exists... Well, sort of.... Until I focussed on the Film Factory ant Mortsel. This makes a lot more sence, in the centre of the fortress line, very close to the Berchem road and the supply depot, and very close to the Lierre road, but still, out of the front line.

• 8 months later...