Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enfield Butt Marker Disk, 4th Batt. ??

Pete_C

This marker disk is a Somme pickup from many years ago. I'd always assumed the 'LL' to indicate The King's Liverpool Regt, but having recently consulted Skennerton's 'Broad Arrow' he appears to identify it as  'Liverpool College' - he lists King's Liverpool as 'LI' - capital 'I' not 'L'.

Liverpool College had a cadet force in the Great War but I can't imagine a scenario that would have taken one of their rifles to the front line, at the Somme. It's also highly unlikely that a cadet force could have acquired a service rifle in February 1915.

Any alternative suggestions ?

Pete

20210220_164221.jpg

Edited by Pete_C

Pete,

The Instructions To Armourers (1912?) APPEARS to show "LI" for the King's Regt; in fact it is "LL" if you expand the photo.

I

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/262673-unit-markings-on-p1907-bayonets/?tab=comments#comment-2662305

Regards,

JMB

edit: I should have said that the second L is in much smaller font than the first L.

Edited by JMB1943
Add info.

12 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Pete,

The Instructions To Armourers (1912?) APPEARS to show "LI" for the King's Regt; in fact it is "LL" if you expand the photo.

I

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/262673-unit-markings-on-p1907-bayonets/?tab=comments#comment-2662305

Regards,

JMB

edit: I should have said that the second L is in much smaller font than the first L.

Thanks JMB, mystery solved, and easy to see how Skennerton misread the second ‘L’ as an ‘I’. 

All the best,

Pete

REME,

I did not actually put up a cut & paste of the OTC units, but can look up very quickly any you are interested in.

Regards,

JMB

I noted your comment on the other thread that you had not posted the list.   I would be interested for general interest as I am involved in the current Cadet Force but not a problem if not convenient.

REME,

Not at all an inconvenience, but it will not be instantaneous.

Will try to get it done today.

Regards,

JMB