Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilson Stewart, Aghadowey

RebeccaBarnes

Hi all, This may be a very difficult task but I'm looking some information on my great uncle Wilson Stewart. I have limited knowledge of him other than this... He was born in Keely, Aghadowey, County Londonderry, Ireland 18th February 1897. His parents were John and Rachel Stewart. I have no idea what regiment he was connected with. I do think he survived the war. 

I'm sorry that I have no other info on him. Family stories I have heard is that he was a pilot... this is sketchy as this may not be true. Many thanks in advance for your help.

??? Possibility might be  Pte 12/1732 Wilson Stewart Royal Irish Rifles

Ancestry: MIC and Medal RollS

Edited by BarbaraG

2 hours ago, BarbaraG said:

You may already have details for his brother Thomas.

Barbara,

I'm sure she is very grateful for your efforts but Rebecca has probably seen these details I believe - or at least she's already got quite a bit on Thomas.

She was elsewhere advised to start, and thus has started, a new thread for Wilson Stewart so as not to get lost with Thomas' details in a longer thread. 

So folks, Wilson STEWART here for her please.

He's proving a bit of a challenge!

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

There is a Wilson Stewart who died aged 21 in nearby Coleraine in 1Q 1918. Think his Death Certificate may need to be looked at. He needs to be excluded at least

Edited by Mark1959

2 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a Wilson Stewart who died aged 21 in nearby Coleraine in 1Q 1918. Think his Deatch Certificate may need to be looked at. He needs to be excluded at least

Here it is I think:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05197/4436036.pdf

1054614231_STEWARTWilson.jpg.546a3331cb4712ef687b18d5f1b83a6c.jpg

Image courtesy of irishgenealogy - with thanks

If this is him:

Phthisis [pulmonary tuberculosis] is not normally a quick killer so he may have been suffering for some time beforehand - perhaps unable to get through/failed a military medical in the first place. ??

The challenge to possible military service is his occupation as Labourer at date of death - so if he had perhaps served he must have been earlier discharged.

Can't find any Service Record, MIC or pension record that leaps out as him.

???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addits

12 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

Thank you for the link to Thomas.

No problem - single man threads are often simpler so probably better Rebecca now has two

Wilson Stewart has proved elusive to link positively

15 hours ago, RebeccaBarnes said:

He was born in Keely, Aghadowey, County Londonderry, Ireland 18th February 1897. His parents were John and Rachel Stewart.

This seems to be his birth registration - as Wilson STUART - so probably also worth looking under that alternative spelling of surname for possible military records.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1897/02143/1813533.pdf 

360102340_STEWARTWilsonSTUARTBirth.jpg.a9540ae0e1847f0524b7fcc2af6f8dac.jpg

Image courtesy of irishgenealogy - with thanks

Edited by Matlock1418
added link

4 hours ago, BarbaraG said:

??? Possibility might be  Pte 12/1732 Wilson Stewart Royal Irish Rifles

Ancestry: MIC and Medal RollS

MIC and MR [1914-15 Star] shows discharged to Class Z [7/4/1919]

Likewise ... ???

Drunkendult is a townland of Ballymoney. Ballymoney is only a few kms from Aghadowey.

Does not prove that it is our man , but does show one should not be dismissive of this man

wilson1.jpg.7d69ac859ac01ecf20e49f715e85612c.jpg

I could not follow the various relationships in the Thomas thread, but Rebecca did say

"I don't know much about his brother but i remember him telling me that his brother was taken prisoner and tortured. "

Edited by corisande

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

This is the RI Rifles and Druckendult man's one POW record

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/1765870/698/38840/

This gives a date of brth of 14/5/1885. So as the Wilson we are after was born 1897 I think the POW man can be excluded

Wilson STEWART 1732 RIR

I struggled and couldn't find him on ICRC [still can't except via your link and scrolling down to page 38840 :-/ ]

Well found sir!

Edit:

Just wondering, to the Wilson of the OP - Could this Wilson STEWART 1732 perhaps be an older cousin? Or alternatively perhaps an uncle? .

Rebecca - does your genealogy/family tree help??

???

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

The POW card is in STEWARD without a regiment in the index. You have to scroll then to very last index card.

13 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

The POW card is in STEWARD without a regiment in the index. You have to scroll then to very last index card.

Thanks. Ahh as ... STEWARD (IRISH) - then the last card!

No wonder - I was puzzled at to why I couldn't find plain "Stewart" either [Can now see them - again from Steward]

The ICRC site is a real 'challenge' isn't it?

I think we need some genealogy now to perhaps work out the various Wilson Stewart from Ballymoney.

Actually at irishgenealoogy there is an indexed Wilson Steward, b.1888 [sic, actually Stewart] of Ballymoney but not yet found b.1885

???

One can get further info from the Wilson Stewart of Druckendult from the local paper. He had a brother Robert Stewart also in R Irish Rifles and died of wounds in 1917 - Roberts CWGC entry

There seems to be no close relationship to the object man of this thread

Just seeing all this wow, thankyou so much for all your efforts guys. The Wilson Stewart from Druckendult can be excluded. Wilson Stewart is 100% the Stuart spelling as his parents were John Stewart and Rachel Stewart formally Blakes. Perhaps that's why I couldn't find anything on him as its spelt Stuart in the records.