Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-15 Star issued/claimed/received or not? = Make a modern claim application to the Medal Office??

Matlock1418

Recent threads on GWF have caused me to revisit a dead soldier's medal entitlement and to question if his 1914-15 Star was ever formally issued/delivered by the Medal Office [MO] & thus was fully issued/claimed by his family

[or if it was early returned as not delivered/not claimed and thus later destroyed in line with KR 1743]

= What do you think?

Some options = Issued by MO but not delivered & returned to MO?  Delivered & later returned to MO?  After 10 years destroyed by MO?  Re-issued by MO? [And thus formally/fully issued/claimed/received?]

Entries as follows:

1914-15 Medal Roll [MR - matching MIC below]

1469341659_returnedMedalRoll.jpg.0fe55c5792dcede0ad554e82eb9685c1.jpg

1914-15 Medal Index Card [MIC - matching Medal Roll above]

1507140377_returnedMIC.jpg.e7e36abff3dbf7d17c8abf0880b67b19.jpg

Images courtesy of Ancestry - with thanks

These annotations puzzle me a bit as I cannot interpret the reference to 992KR on the MR - there appears to be the Certified Receipt Voucher [CRV] reference & date and note also that file/record '8149 / Adt' - is to be/has been adjusted/amended  [I don't exactly know what 8149 is and if the Adt is an instruction or a confirmation of action - I think I suspect the latter ???]

The MIC more clearly shows the 1743KR which is the return and disposal / destruction after 10 years if not claimed - and again the 8149/Adt.

No evidence of an Issue Voucher [IV] or Reissued IV annotation.

I cannot find a 'burnt' Service Record for him so no signed receipt to suggest the 1914-15 Star was actually delivered/claimed/received by anyone - or the Star actively being returned by his family either [so MO also probably won't have these options to use]

His BWM & VM Medal Roll and separate MIC are not further annotated so I suppose it is probably likely they were delivered/claimed [but no evidence from a SR either way]

But what about the 1914-15 Star?

What do you think? = Issued/claimed/delivered/received by family back then?

Or = Does it seem worth his family now having a belated claim of the MO and trying to now get his 1914-15 Star issued formally/fully?

[as a first issue/not previously issued - and not as a replacement, which I know would certainly fail]

I feel modestly confident it would be worth a punt with the above MR & MIC evidence - but need a GWF sanity check please.

???

Your thoughts, observations and suggestions most welcomed.

:-) M

Hi

KR's para 992 (1923):
"Medals which, at the end of 1 year, remain unclaimed will be sent to the Secretary, War Office

'8149 / Adt' - is some reference that the clerks knew, but these days no one can say for sure what it means

CRV means sent back to MO, if they were sent out to the soldier or family you would then have an IV 9Issue Voucher) and date on the MIC.

So you can only ask!

regards

Robert

It seems a straight forward case that the medals were sent out and then returned. Nobody 'received' them.

The odd bit is the two different KRs involved, 992 on the roll and 1743 on the MIC.

The MIC & Roll were not at the same location circa 1923 so perhaps you have two clerks in different offices, one using an incorrect KR?

Or.

Perhaps the medal was returned by the post office? after a year. 10 years later under 1743 it was sent for scrapping? The 8149 file being updated at both times.

TEW

9 hours ago, rksimpson said:

KR's para 992 (1923):
"Medals which, at the end of 1 year, remain unclaimed will be sent to the Secretary, War Office

'8149 / Adt' - is some reference that the clerks knew, but these days no one can say for sure what it means

CRV means sent back to MO, if they were sent out to the soldier or family you would then have an IV 9Issue Voucher) and date on the MIC.

So you can only ask!

Robert,

Thank you for the sanity check and the KR 992 reference [it had me scratching my head - 1923 KR for a 1924 return would make sense!]

Still strange two references used but TEW later does provides a possible explanation.

Worth a punt at the MO I think - wish the family luck. [I will report back with how things went].

Many thanks

Edited by Matlock1418

5 hours ago, TEW said:

It seems a straight forward case that the medals were sent out and then returned. Nobody 'received' them.

The odd bit is the two different KRs involved, 992 on the roll and 1743 on the MIC.

The MIC & Roll were not at the same location circa 1923 so perhaps you have two clerks in different offices, one using an incorrect KR?

Or.

Perhaps the medal was returned by the post office? after a year. 10 years later under 1743 it was sent for scrapping? The 8149 file being updated at both times.

TEW,

Thank you for the sanity check - the KR 992 reference had me scratching my head [Robert's suggestion 1923 KR for a 1924 return would make sense!]

Still strange two references used but you do provide a plausible possible explanation with the two clerk scenario or the alternative return one too.

The 8149 reference remains an enigma - perhaps a research study for someone much younger than me!

I feel it's worth a punt at the MO - wish the family luck [I will report back with how things went].

Many thanks

• 2 years later...

Reporting back/a belated update = A new issue of the 1914/15 Star was achieved and medal received = Result! :)

M

8 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Reporting back/a belated update = A new issue of the 1914/15 Star was achieved and medal received = Result! :)

M

Fantastic.

Can you post photos of them please?

11 hours ago, Derek Black said:

Can you post photos of them please?

Just the 1914-15 Star reissued - sorry, photo not possible now.

image.jpeg.09452c7596cf843fe1e25b035145a5f6.jpeg

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add photo

Did it take 2 years for the Star to be reissued?

Were the others applied for also - is there no news on those?

7 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Did it take 2 years for the Star to be reissued?

No it didn't - I'm afraid this has been a very late update - I can't recall exactly how long it took but less than four months - I was modestly impressed by their turnaround.

7 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Were the others applied for also - is there no news on those?

I didn't apply for the BWM and/or VM as there was no evidence that they hadn't been issued or then returned.  The trick will now be to try and find them.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

6 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

No it didn't - I'm afraid this has been a very late update - I can't recall exactly how long it too but less than four months - I was modestly impressed by their turnaround.

I didn't apply for the BWM and/or VM as there was no evidence that they hadn't been issued or then returned.  The trick will now be to try and find them.

M

Ta!