Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tuesday Zoom sessions on Ireland and WW1

doyle3

Thanks. I signed up, but thought that the "application form" was somewhat over the top in the amount of information they want. For example why take registrants telephone numbers  :(

10 minutes ago, corisande said:

Thanks. I signed up, but thought that the "application form" was somewhat over the top in the amount of information they want. For example why take registrants telephone numbers  :(

I suspect that they are still in old mindset expecting to deal with locals attending in person and the comms that goes around events like that. Name and email address is really all that's needed.

2 minutes ago, doyle3 said:

I suspect that they are still in old mindset

My thought too

As you have seen two of the episodes, do you have any observations on the content (or is it better for me just to see for myself :))

possibly a little too academic for my liking but the speakers know their stuff. 

First session was pre WW1 with UVF, IV and the gun running etc Some info about other voluntary orgs springing up, recruitment

Last night's session - quite a bit on Belgian refugees, support for PoWs, collection of moss for medical purposes etc 

Thanks

I will give it a go next week

the session last night ran over a little bit :-) 

3 book recommendations that came from the session :

"The Sleepwalkers : How Europe Went to War in 1914" By Christopher Clark

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleepwalkers-How-Europe-Went-1914/dp/0141027827/

"A United Kingdom" by Catriona Pennell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-United-Popular-Responses-Outbreak/dp/0198708467/

and the presenters own book :

"Ireland and the Great War" by Niamh Gallagher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ireland-Great-War-Political-History/dp/178831462X/

I must say I thought that her talk was very well done.

At 2 hours it was long, but I didn't think it was boring.

Interesting how Irish academics are going to England to do their research

First time listening to this presenter and I think she did a very good job. It flowed very well. I like the idea of the short break and then a Q&A session.

The technology didn't cause too many problems other than the muting at the start.

95 people online wasn't a bad turnout.

Yes, surprising that an Irish academic is in a UK uni but it sounds like it's working out well.

2 minutes ago, doyle3 said:

Yes, surprising that an Irish academic is in a UK uni but it sounds like it's working out well.

Yes and Eve Morrison (whose new book on Kilmichael should be out in about a month) is working at Oxford

• 1 month later...

Yer man did not want to know about it in his talk :-)

There is a slight amplification in the London Illustrated News where you found the photo

lion.jpg.1554acd7980b8c971d12d7a7b3aa4491.jpg

Seems that thare were two tanks and that they had been supplied by the British to the White Russians. Poetic justice to send them on to Ireland

Oddly the event had little/no coverage in the press. I could not get anything out of the Times Archive either

OK found the references - HMS Lion had little to do with it all. You get most in searching for Olga in April 1920. The Scotsman has the longest report (I have not included it all) My feeling was that the arms were not bound for Ireland

olga1.jpg.89039baea7c49de80b21046647acd29c.jpgolga2.jpg.e3ccf93d4d137e66a41012f09612cafd.jpgolga3.jpg.0a3511232c5628822bc3d6926556e190.jpg