Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion KOSB July 1916

KIRKY

I have tried several times and gone through loads of pages trying to track down the above for a casualty around 7th July 1916, know they were around Bernafay and Trones Wood but would love to see an entry in the Diaries, anyone help please?

Tony

9 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

If you have ancestry the relevant page is Here

Thanks what did you search to find this I spent around an hour looking on Ancestry and found nothing!

Tony

My standard process is to look for it in the National Archives. This shows the War Office ref as WO 95/1772/2. In ancestry I put 1772 in the keyword field in the search box. What you get is the clumped together war diaries for the infantry battalions for the 27th Infantry Brigade of the 9th Division. Then it is a matter of finding which section of the whole diary relates to the correct battalion. 

Sometimes I find out the Brigade by other means.

Of course sometimes the WD is just plain missing. 

When searching the National Archives for say the KOSB I tend to not put a battalion number in the search box - finding it better to just put in Scottish Borderers and then trawl through the returned WDs until I find the one I am after. 

Given it is free to download TNA WDs at the moment if I need one I am just downloading it. 

Edited by Mark1959

2 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

My standard process is to look for it in the National Archives. This shows the War Office ref as WO 95/1772/2. In ancestry I put 1772 in the keyword field in the search box. What you get is the clumped together war diaries for the infantry battalions for the 27th Infantry Brigade of the 9th Division. Then it is a matter of finding which section of the whole diary relates to the correct battalion. 

Sometimes I find out the Brigade by other means.

Of course sometimes the WD is just plain missing. 

When searching the National Archives for say the KOSB I tend to not put a battalion number in the search box - finding it better to just put in Scottish Borderers and then trawl through the returned WDs until I find the one I am after. 

Given it is free to download TNA WDs at the moment if I need one I am just downloading it. 

Thanks Mark

tony