Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Henry Hopkins

kdd69

After 15 yrs I have finally found my ancestor, but am very confused as to his war years. In 1914 he married a Dora Hill in Cardiff. His address was Blackwood Monmouthshire. His occupation is down as Greengrocers assistant, age 26. He also has a child in 1917 and 1918. Cannot find any records as surely he would not have been excempt as a greengrocers assistant. Perhaps he was not fit for service, but cannot find anything. His brothers records have been found. Died 1941. Any advice as to how I can find anything for his war yrs would be appreciated. 

A greengrocers assistant may have been exempt, it depends on the situation (and also whether he was fit enough for service). Once conscription arrived it became harder and harder over time to justify an exemption for a man though.

What do the children's birth certs say? They're usually a very good indicator to start with.

Craig

The problem is that, if he served for a period but that service was only in the UK it can be very difficult to track down as the records are few and far.

Where was he born ?

Craig

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The problem is that, if he served for a period but that service was only in the UK it can be very difficult to track down as the records are few and far.

Where was he born ?

Craig

The birth certificate for the child in 1917 is still showing him as a grocers assistant. Address Abertillery. Thank you for your response. 

He was born in Madley Herefordshire. I also know he was living in Crewkerne Somerset in 1911 occupation greengrocers assistant. But was married in 1914 in Wales.

The birth certificate for the child in 1917 is still showing him as a grocers assistant. Address Abertillery. Thank you for your response. 

11 minutes ago, kdd69 said:

He was born in Madley Herefordshire. I also know he was living in Crewkerne Somerset in 1911 occupation greengrocers assistant. But was married in 1914 in Wales.

I know that his brother ( my g. grandfather) was in grove park ASC motor transport and I believe another brother was there at one time also.