Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/15 LONDONS (CIVIL SERVICE RIFLES)- GERMAN SOUTH WEST AFRICA 1918

Pray forgive me for raising this little conundrum-  I am away from access to the official history of the Civil Service Rifles and the modern book "All Bloody Gentlemen"

A local casualty, Corporal William Thomas Webb, KIA 29 September 1918 in France has 4 theatres on his medal roll, below.   France and Macedonia are all OK with me  but the code 4B is South West Africa.

image.png.4a77c3d7d11c00153e79c10aaafb3091.png

(With thanks to Ancestry and The National Archives-for scholarly "fair use" only)

There are several other men on the same page of the Medal Roll with 4B service- all in June and July 1918.  Would any colleague have any idea what this was about and any pointers to sources other than the 2 CSR books above?

(Service in 4B is not mentioned for 2/15 London on Long Long Trail.)   The War Diary has the battalion en route to the Western Front from Macedonia, via Kantara, Alexandria and thence to Taranto. I suppose it is possibly an error for 2B- to include Aegean Islands- but I have not encountered such a repeat error in the usually reliable typed-up medal rolls before.

I am perplexed.

Edited by Guest

• Guest changed the title to 2/15 LONDONS (CIVIL SERVICE RIFLES)- GERMAN SOUTH WEST AFRICA 1918

Theatre Code 4b was only German South West Africa for disembarkations up to the end of 1915 as per the 1914/1915 Star.

After that date that theatre code became disembarkations in Egypt from 18/19 March 1916 and German South West Africa became theatre code 5b.

Steve

Edited by SteveE

Steve and Peter- thank you both.  I was perplexed- (still am), I was unaware that medal rolls contained embarkation codes  as well as theatre codes.  How bizarre to mix them.  

Steve- Don't worry-I still have a 25 RF man with Africa to do- As Arnie says "I will be back"

Phew- what a relief-thought I had missed a whole campaign in Africa!!

I was unaware that medal rolls contained embarkation codes  as well as theatre codes.  How bizarre to mix them.  

Steve- Don't worry-I still have a 25 RF man with Africa to do- As Arnie says "I will be back"

The disembarkation code/theatre of war code is essentially the same thing and covered all requirements.  My primary interest is in East Africa so I was already aware of the code change for the African theatres, East Africa went from 4a (on 1914/15 Star roll) to 5a (on BWM/Victory Medal roll) so I knew GSWA was similarly affected.

If you want to let me have the name of the 25RF man I can have a dig around to see if I have anything on him?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve- Thanks again for keeping my brain from confusion.

My one local 25 RF man is Harry George King King- MR below.  Nothing out of the ordinary on him.  Hope I have the code right this time!!

image.png.6c4f833ac52bf2aa07c7639ba8ed7eb2.png

I have 2  other local casualties for East Africa-  One is Henry Tarbutt, Lieutenant, Northern Rhodesia Police- quite a good piece about his end online in a back issue of Rhodesiana Journal. The other is an ambulance driver who died of fever at Dar-es-Salaam.   I mention this as there was a small diary published in "Cockney Ancestor" not so long ago of another MT man in East Africa- If you would like it, I will get it scanned and zapped when the libraries re-open