Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Reception Bde

A great Uncle,a ShoeingSmith pre-war regular on the Army Reserve List and mobilized Aug 1914 and to France 7-8-1914 has as a final entry on his service record '14-10-1918 to Reception Bde'.

Could anyone advise as to what this might mean? I am familiar with Base Depots etc but have not seen this reference before.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh

David Porter

Artillery Reception Brigade is another name for 2B Reserve Brigade RFA based at Brighton. It had also been No. 4 RFA Officer Cadet School for most of 1917. The designation change to Artillery Reception Brigade happened to be on October 14, 1918. It provided preliminary instruction for those awaiting admission to other Cadet Schools.

David, thanks for that.

I have mis-read his service record in that case.

Where I thought he had been posted to 2nd Bde RFA, 6th Div on the 21-6-1915 the way it is written on his record he appears to have been posted to '2B Bde' but the b is lower case and placed where you would put an apostrophe hence I thought it read 2nd -the sheet itself being in poor condition.

He was posted again 30-5-1917 to some other unit before the Oct 1918 posting.

He was discharged from 211 Bty RFA 17-11-1918

David Porter
1 hour ago, Barwinmol said:

He was discharged from 211 Bty RFA 17-11-1918

When No. 4 RFA Officer Cadet School was formed on February 16, 1917 the three reserve batteries (10th, 11th and 12th) were amalgamated into 211 and 212 Bty.

16 minutes ago, David Porter said:

When No. 4 RFA Officer Cadet School was formed on February 16, 1917 the three reserve batteries (10th, 11th and 12th) were amalgamated into 211 and 212 Bty.

Thanks David.  It all dovetails in.