Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polygon Wood

Guest Chris Morley-Smith

Guest Chris Morley-Smith

I am trying to trace the movements of my great-uncle through the war, in particular his last days.

He was 2/Lt George Morley Smith, of the 7th Bttn, Leicestershire Regiment. He died on 5.10.17 of wounds received at Polygon Wood.

Any details of this action, and the involvement of the 7th Bttn, would be gratefully received. I would of course be delighted to hear from anyone who had a relative who may have served with him.

Hello Chris,

The 21st Division attacked Reutelhoek, just east of Polygon Wood. The attack was supported by 4 tanks (for guiding these tanks into the attack Clement Robertson earned the VC). There was heavy German resistance from the German cemetery east of Reutelhoek and the attack was halted. IIRC the area was defended by the 22. Reserve-Division.

Jan

Chris,

You may like to try and obtain a publication entitled 'THE TIGERS' by Matthew Richards. This is a comprehensive history of the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th (Service) Battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment. Includes over 200 photographs, maps and several appendices containing nominal rolls. You can pick this up from various sources for approx £18 plus p&p including Ray Westlake Military Books

There is also 39 MONTHS WITH THE "TIGERS" 1915-1918 by D V Kelly. First published in 1930, covers in detail the authors experiences on the Western Front with the 110th Brigade. This including the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment. First with the 37th Division, then to 21st.

Marc

Chris

I would also recommend "Polygon Wood" in the Battlegroud Europe

series by Nigel Cave. A fair bit on the Leicestershires in that.

Geoff

Chris,

I am researching the doings of local men from my home village and picked up the following from the local paper about two of them dated 12th Oct 1917 " Worksop Town footballer wounded, centre forward Wilf. Biggin has been wounded in France, September, 1917, reported 12th October that he had arrived in Wharncliffe Hospital Sheffield. It appears that he and Charlie Jepson also in the 7th Leicesters and also from Whitwell were in a shell hole when Biggin received a gunshot wound in the arm,Jepson dressed his wound and sent him to the nearest dressing station. On his way he was spotted by a sniper and shot in the chest , later Jepson was shot in the hand and is in hospital in South Wales.......

Both were members of the 7th Bn., Leicestershire Regt., part of 110th Brigade 21st Division in the Battle for Polygon Wood. If I remember correctly the 7th Leicesters were not part of the initial attack but when they went in the Bn., suffered severely from shelling I took the details out of the book the Tigers but can't lay my hands on it for the present. I will let you know if and when I pick up any more information.

Cliff. Hobson.

Chris,

As Geoff Parker has stated, Nigel Cave's book 'Polygon Wood' (Battleground Europe Series, Pena & Sword, 1999) is very good on the Leicesters. The other book worth looking for is 'The Tigers' by Matthew Richardson (not Richards - also Pen & Sword, 2000). Neither book mention 'your' man by name but both provide good coverage of the Leicester Brigades experiences at Polygon Wood from 30 September onwards.

"If I remember correctly the 7th Leicesters were not part of the initial attack but when they went in the Bn., suffered severely from shelling....". A quick check of 'The Tigers' suggests that your memory is sound!

All the best,

Andrew

(Cliff: I'm doing the same as you, but for Tibshelf in Derbyshire, which isn't too far from Worksop. I've got a George Henry Blow of 10 Grafton St., Worksop (born Tibshelf), 1st Royal West Kent, k.i.a 28 June 1918 - is he on the Worksop memorial? If so we could share information as I've seen his service record. Others that may be mutually beneficial are: Harry F. Lighthollow (born Worksop), Luke Raynes (born Tibshelf), Levi Squires (of Mansfield, enlisted Worksop). If you think we can help each other perhaps you could e-mail me from the list?)