Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ethel Louise Purkis Order Of St John Brigade Hospital

oscarquebec

I have discovered my wife’s grandmother Ethel Louise Purkis in the WW1 medal Rolls. It appears she served at a Order of St. John Brigade Hospital between November 1916 and October 1917. The theatre of war column just shows 1(a), am I correct in thinking this relates to France and Belgium. Also can anyone help with what a Brigade Hospital was, I assume more than a dressing station. I’m also intrigued that she and others only served about 12 months, was that considered a tour of duty for nurses.

Many thanks

Hi oscarquebec,

The Long, Long Trail shows:

image.png.93fcb92e8c06d21bde6b8bfcd33ce122.png

Image sourced from the LLT

The hospital has war diaries which are free to download from the National Archives - link.

Ethel has a couple of index cards on the British Red Cross website (link) including this one:

image.png.e54c0b32c56deac008a6a64ddc998718.png

Image sourced from the British Red Cross

Regards

Chris

Oscarquebec,

You may want to get this book, Sisters of the Somme. It is about the St. John Brigade Hospital in France. You will find it very interesting. The index is not very good, so I don't know if your grandmother is mentioned.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sisters-Somme-Penny-Starns/dp/0750961627/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=SISTERS+OF+THE+SOMME&qid=1613140783&s=books&sr=1-1

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you that is really very helpful opens up a whole new field to explore

The St. John Hospital was funded and maintained by the Order of St. John and staffed  mostly by women VAD members of St. John Ambulance.  The doctors and Matron were on paid contracts.  It was heavily bombed in May 1918 and closed for a while until it moved to Trouville.  It was supplied from a warehouse in London which was supported by donations from members of the Order.   The book "Sisters of the Somme" is based upon the diary of one of the VADs and is a good account of the day-to-day activities of the hospital.   Medals issued to those who served at the Etaples Hospital were named O.St.J.  unlike most which were named as V.A.D. 

Norman 

Thanks I had just found "Sisters of the Somme" so confirmation I'll get it

Mal