Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medal cache

bob elkin

Althougn money isnt a primary concern you should be aware this collection is worh a minimum of 1400 but I would agrue there is at least another 500-600 in there. Although its noble to donate you should consider putting them on ebay or in an auction,  but I would add ebay has a wider audience and would maximise the possibility of a family member finding them. So i'd say sell them, stick a 20 miminum on each one, enjoy your windfall and raise a glass to your late father in law

15 minutes ago, nigelshipp said:

you should consider putting them on ebay or in an auction,  but I would add ebay has a wider audience and would maximise

Disagree.   GWF indexes on Google-   There is far more chance of someone picking up on Google than Ebay.  GWF also lasts a lot longer on indexing than anything ephemerally and transiently listed on Ebay.

In economic terms, no good has any  monetary "value" unless and until it is transacted-  The poster does not wish to transact for monetary gain. Leave him be.

Many medal searchers on forum have had it suggested to them to set up an eBay search to receive a notification if a result occurs. That advice to me about 16 years ago ( not via forum) resulted in a family MC & Bar returning home.

Google requires a proactive search by the hunter. Some have been hunting medals for many years and probably gave up a weekly search long ago.

I suspect the eBay route will generate 'saved search' results for hunters and/or offer the contact seller option.

Bob could always end the auction early and reunite a medal in the same altruistic way.

TEW

On 13/02/2021 at 10:46, bedfordyeoman said:

Just out of interest, Bob, where was the pawnshop in Luton ? I started working in Luton town centre 40 years ago but perhaps the shop was before my time - I was collecting football programmes back then anyway so wouldn't have had much cause to go in there.

David

The Luton shop was on Park st. It closed early 70's.

On 15/02/2021 at 08:46, nigelshipp said:

Althougn money isnt a primary concern you should be aware this collection is worh a minimum of 1400 but I would agrue there is at least another 500-600 in there. Although its noble to donate you should consider putting them on ebay or in an auction,  but I would add ebay has a wider audience and would maximise the possibility of a family member finding them. So i'd say sell them, stick a 20 miminum on each one, enjoy your windfall and raise a glass to your late father in law

Thank you for that. If we do eventually sell them the money would go to a suitable charity

bedfordyeoman
On 18/02/2021 at 12:51, bob elkin said:

The Luton shop was on Park st. It closed early 70's.

A bit before my time, Bob. I used to work in George Street West and, later, George Street.  My only visits to Luton now are an occasional trip to watch the football team and the odd bit of research at the main library. My daughter has just started work in the New Town area, though.

Regards

David

CorporalPunishment
On 20/02/2021 at 10:38, bedfordyeoman said:

A bit before my time, Bob. I used to work in George Street West and, later, George Street.  My only visits to Luton now are an occasional trip to watch the football team and the odd bit of research at the main library. My daughter has just started work in the New Town area, though.

Regards

David

Ah!, so you're the bloke that stands in the Kenilworth Road ground all on your own then!!.😁.     Pete.

bedfordyeoman
46 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Ah!, so you're the bloke that stands in the Kenilworth Road ground all on your own then!!.😁.     Pete.

No, not me, Pete, although that sounds pretty good ! I haven't been there since before lockdown in March last year. My daughter volunteers on match days and she helped out at a game in December - I also offered my help but they closed down again before we had a chance to do a game together. I have to confess that I was brought up in Highbury N5 and The Arsenal was always my first club - held a season ticket there until about 8 years ago when I decided that football at the top level had become too corporate for me - I like standing on terraces and mixing with fans rather than tourists. Luton has always been my second club since I moved to Bedfordshire many moons ago so my daughter and I started going there and enjoying 'proper' football again (even if only from the away side).  I also go to some of the local lower league clubs like Bedford Town. I don't watch games on TV - too busy researching and collecting medals.

Best wishes,

David

Edited by bedfordyeoman
spelling mistake