Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medal cache


bob elkin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Althougn money isnt a primary concern you should be aware this collection is worh a minimum of 1400 but I would agrue there is at least another 500-600 in there. Although its noble to donate you should consider putting them on ebay or in an auction,  but I would add ebay has a wider audience and would maximise the possibility of a family member finding them. So i'd say sell them, stick a 20 miminum on each one, enjoy your windfall and raise a glass to your late father in law

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, nigelshipp said:

you should consider putting them on ebay or in an auction,  but I would add ebay has a wider audience and would maximise

 

    Disagree.   GWF indexes on Google-   There is far more chance of someone picking up on Google than Ebay.  GWF also lasts a lot longer on indexing than anything ephemerally and transiently listed on Ebay.

   In economic terms, no good has any  monetary "value" unless and until it is transacted-  The poster does not wish to transact for monetary gain. Leave him be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many medal searchers on forum have had it suggested to them to set up an eBay search to receive a notification if a result occurs. That advice to me about 16 years ago ( not via forum) resulted in a family MC & Bar returning home.

 

Google requires a proactive search by the hunter. Some have been hunting medals for many years and probably gave up a weekly search long ago.

 

I suspect the eBay route will generate 'saved search' results for hunters and/or offer the contact seller option.

 

Bob could always end the auction early and reunite a medal in the same altruistic way.

TEW

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/02/2021 at 10:46, bedfordyeoman said:

Just out of interest, Bob, where was the pawnshop in Luton ? I started working in Luton town centre 40 years ago but perhaps the shop was before my time - I was collecting football programmes back then anyway so wouldn't have had much cause to go in there.

 

David

The Luton shop was on Park st. It closed early 70's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/02/2021 at 08:46, nigelshipp said:

Althougn money isnt a primary concern you should be aware this collection is worh a minimum of 1400 but I would agrue there is at least another 500-600 in there. Although its noble to donate you should consider putting them on ebay or in an auction,  but I would add ebay has a wider audience and would maximise the possibility of a family member finding them. So i'd say sell them, stick a 20 miminum on each one, enjoy your windfall and raise a glass to your late father in law

 

Thank you for that. If we do eventually sell them the money would go to a suitable charity

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/02/2021 at 12:51, bob elkin said:

The Luton shop was on Park st. It closed early 70's.

A bit before my time, Bob. I used to work in George Street West and, later, George Street.  My only visits to Luton now are an occasional trip to watch the football team and the odd bit of research at the main library. My daughter has just started work in the New Town area, though.

 

Regards


David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/02/2021 at 10:38, bedfordyeoman said:

A bit before my time, Bob. I used to work in George Street West and, later, George Street.  My only visits to Luton now are an occasional trip to watch the football team and the odd bit of research at the main library. My daughter has just started work in the New Town area, though.

 

Regards


David

Ah!, so you're the bloke that stands in the Kenilworth Road ground all on your own then!!.😁.     Pete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Ah!, so you're the bloke that stands in the Kenilworth Road ground all on your own then!!.😁.     Pete.

 

No, not me, Pete, although that sounds pretty good ! I haven't been there since before lockdown in March last year. My daughter volunteers on match days and she helped out at a game in December - I also offered my help but they closed down again before we had a chance to do a game together. I have to confess that I was brought up in Highbury N5 and The Arsenal was always my first club - held a season ticket there until about 8 years ago when I decided that football at the top level had become too corporate for me - I like standing on terraces and mixing with fans rather than tourists. Luton has always been my second club since I moved to Bedfordshire many moons ago so my daughter and I started going there and enjoying 'proper' football again (even if only from the away side).  I also go to some of the local lower league clubs like Bedford Town. I don't watch games on TV - too busy researching and collecting medals.

 

Best wishes,


David

Edited by bedfordyeoman
spelling mistake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hi, so would you please email me about alfred leslie shipp and his war medals as his was my great great uncle. My email is (removed by moderator) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. I’ve removed your email address from your post, never a good idea to post information like that on a public forum. I can’t see A L Shipp on Bobs list. Or was your comment meant for another member ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He must had deleted it as my mum showed me the message he posted about his war medals and it won't let me message him and it is for nigelshipp, but I have no other way to contact him and that message he posted was from 2007 also.

Edited by Talia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talia,

I think that yo uneed 5 posts on GWF to use the private message feature.

So, just reply to me and a couple of others and you'll get to your 5.

Regards,

JMB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

You now have access to PMs so you can message @nigelshipp. I’ve also tagged him to alert him to your posts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Talia said:

He must had deleted it as my mum showed me the message he posted about his war medals and it won't let me message him and it is for nigelshipp, but I have no other way to contact him and that message he posted was from 2007 also.

Hi Talia, I've sent you my email

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/02/2021 at 11:15, TEW said:

Many medal searchers on forum have had it suggested to them to set up an eBay search to receive a notification if a result occurs. That advice to me about 16 years ago ( not via forum) resulted in a family MC & Bar returning home.

 

TEW

 

This is precisely what happened to me in February this year, my great uncle’s VM surfaced on Ebay, much to my delight and utter amazement (I never believed anything would actually turn up, oh me of little faith). If I hadn’t had the alert set up, I’d never have found it.

Martin

Edited by MartyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had alerts set up here there and everywhere, it was only a nudge from a forum member  that tipped me off about my great uncles trios, three of the  brothers, two with plaques.

last time they were seen was in the seventies. I would like to know where the other 4 or 5 brothers medals are , although I do know of a cousins , trio and plaque, still with the family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

However you find them, though, isn’t it a great feeling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MartyG said:

This is precisely what happened to me in February this year, my great uncle’s VM surfaced on Ebay, much to my delight and utter amazement (I never believed anything would actually turn up, oh me of little faith). If I hadn’t had the alert set up, I’d never have found it.

Martin

 

On 15/02/2021 at 11:15, TEW said:

Many medal searchers on forum have had it suggested to them to set up an eBay search to receive a notification if a result occurs. That advice to me about 16 years ago ( not via forum) resulted in a family MC & Bar returning home.

 

Google requires a proactive search by the hunter. Some have been hunting medals for many years and probably gave up a weekly search long ago.

 

I suspect the eBay route will generate 'saved search' results for hunters and/or offer the contact seller option.

 

Bob could always end the auction early and reunite a medal in the same altruistic way.

TEW

 

I also have saved searches, set up on eBay, easy live and the saleroom, hoping to find my great uncles medals.  My saved searches probably generate 20 emails a day.  I get notified about a lot of hall tables and Harry Potter books due to the variations in my saved searches.  The above 2 posts show it’s not impossible and will keep me looking.

Mandy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, mandy hall said:

 

I also have saved searches, set up on eBay, easy live and the saleroom, hoping to find my great uncles medals.  My saved searches probably generate 20 emails a day.  I get notified about a lot of hall tables and Harry Potter books due to the variations in my saved searches.  The above 2 posts show it’s not impossible and will keep me looking.

Mandy

Same here, Mandy, alerts on easy live and Saleroom too.

All those emails can do your head in, especially the Ebay ones where you see the same item day after day :unsure: but it only takes that special one…

Good luck in your searches.

Martin

Edited by MartyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

some times its worth a google search "medals to (your name)" , once I went through 7 or 8 pages and found one in Australia, unfortunately although to my theme, the guy has not responded yet he is a dealer and re-uniter. I do get a lot of results this way to American sportspeople and a USAF general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, chaz said:

some times its worth a google search "medals to (your name)" , once I went through 7 or 8 pages and found one in Australia, unfortunately although to my theme, the guy has not responded yet he is a dealer and re-uniter. I do get a lot of results this way to American sportspeople and a USAF general.

I’ll give that a whirl too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...