Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help re: George William Hutton

cherylhutton79

2 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Edited to add that this is the only William Hutton birth on ScotlandsPeople in Edinburgh City in the period 1881 to 1883. There is also a William Barr Hutton in 1882. There are no George Hutton births in Edinburgh City in the same time frame.

Well whad'ya know!!!!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 17.27.13.png

Bingo. I wonder where the Barr came from? One mystery solved, a whole lot more probably opening up. It seems a long way to go to have an illegitimate child, especially as Annie was born in Selby. Do you know where Elizabeth was living in the 1881 census?

Edited to add interesting to compare her occupation on William's birth registration to that of the William Hutton she and the children were living with in the 1891 census. His occupation was given as butcher's labourer.

The smoking gun though is definitely the domiciled in Selby, Yorkshire.

Edited by Tawhiri

Yes the pork butcher's assistant did it for me - I'm so happy I have finally found him.  I had already checked out the address on the census you found for me so it just all came together (see below).

Ahh domiciled - I wondered what that word was.  I'm not good at reading the old script.

Haven't found anything on 1881 census as yet but I have ordered Annie's birth certificate so we'll see if there is a father on there.  I agree it seems strange to travel so far - I might research a bit more and see if this was normal.

And again - I can't thank you enough Tawhiri xxx

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 18.33.36.png

The older William Hutton that Elizabeth and her two children are living with in the 1891 census appears to be living at 8 Lees Terrace, Selby in the 1881 census with William Hutton aged 66 and Barbara Annie Hutton aged 68. I can't find them in the 1871 census, unless of course Ancestry has incorrectly transcribed their names again, but in the 1861 census I can find William and Barbara Anne Hutton living in Selby with Ann aged 20, William aged 13, and their 3 month old granddaughter Elizabeth. So if this is your Elizabeth, William would seem to be her uncle.

This looks to be the corresponding birth registration for Elizabeth, so illegitimate again, and the presumed mother must surely be Ann.

HUTTON, ELIZABETH    Mother's maiden name   -  

GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in SELBY  Volume 09C  Page 528

Just to add that Ancestry has incorrectly transcribed their surname as Hulton again in the 1871 census. I can find William and Barbara Hulton living with son William and granddaughter Elizabeth aged 10 in Selby. So the only question is where is Elizabeth in the 1881 census?

Edited by Tawhiri

Tawhiri (or anyone else) can you read this?  I can pick out a few words but not all.

The first column is the relation to head of house and her occupation says something 'out of employ' maybe?

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 21.46.45.png