Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B.D. 2/Reinf R.F.A.

David26

I've come across the following abbreviation noted on the medal card for a Gunner who was awarded the 1914 Star: 

B.D. 2/Reinf R.F.A.

I am assuming that B.D. refres to Base Depot (so presume the RFA Base Depot in Le Havre?  Had that been opened by then?), but am unsure if the 2 is the number of the depot or somehow linked to a batch of reinforcements.  Is anyone able to shed any light on this please? 

David.

(Image below courtesy of Ancestry)

image.png.cf28b859144e33f332e13f9d1f62c498.png

David,

If you look at the 1914 Star Medal Roll it is headed Base Details and 2nd Reinforcements. The men listed have a variety of arrival dates. To my mind this is 2nd batch of reinforcements collated for the medal and means nothing else. If you scroll back through the rolls you get a surname alphabetical list of 1st Reinforcements and Base Details, again with a variety of arrival dates. 

48 minutes ago, David Porter said:

David,

If you look at the 1914 Star Medal Roll it is headed Base Details and 2nd Reinforcements. The men listed have a variety of arrival dates. To my mind this is 2nd batch of reinforcements collated for the medal and means nothing else. If you scroll back through the rolls you get a surname alphabetical list of 1st Reinforcements and Base Details, again with a variety of arrival dates. 

Thank you David.  That's great.  

David.