Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Maillon, KIA Gueudecourt Oct 1916

Beaconjon

My wife has a copy of her Great Grandfather's CWG staff card. 

I guess just after the war people did whatever they could to provide for their families even if it meant moving abroad.  Its dated 1922 so I would imagine the cemeteries were well established by then. 

IMG-20210207-WA0004.jpg

• Admin

The first permanent construction of cemeteries in their current  form was in 1920. The IWGC were constructing memorials and cemeteries  up until more or less the outbreak of WW2. I think the Villiers Brettoneaux memorial was inaugurated in 1938. 

12 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The first permanent construction of cemeteries in their current  form was in 1920. The IWGC were constructing memorials and cemeteries  up until more or less the outbreak of WW2. I think the Villiers Brettoneaux memorial was inaugurated in 1938. 

Michelle that's very interesting indeed so it is plasuble that her Great Great Grandfather tended my Great Great Uncles grave. 

Fascinating. 

15 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

I know JW Ballinger didn't stay behind and I'm not suggesting he suffered from PTSD. However, CWGC's video clip "The Work Begins' may be of interest:

https://shapingoursorrow.cwgc.org/depression/gardeners-who-stayed-behind/

JP

That's really interesting. We've just watched that clip. It makes perfect sense for some after the war. 

Thank you very much. 

Jon, I'm sure you're probably aware... but just in case... there are surviving service records for John William Ballinger.

For those that took up this call for Gardeners and particularly those with children there is an interesting snippet here. The CWGC archive also has available to download (free) all the Annual Reports, these contain much information on the Horticultural Branch and some interestng facts. The following extract is taken from the report ending 31st March 1923 -

1751394084_yearending31-03-1923.jpg.4ff4a88119eaa2da834dbe9ed3788802.jpg

Hi Jon,

I've been following your thread with interest as one of the little group of chums with an interest in the area. One of our number is @egbert, whose great uncle Kurt was killed in the same area a week before George on the other side of the wire. Kurt's story is here and has a lot of interesting photos and maps which Egbert has pieced together. I would also recommend following the link to Egbert's thread about his grandfather which is a classic piece of storytelling, and even made the 2014 Antiques Roadshow from Thiepval, it's that good. I also count our good friend @Sly who is our man on the spot as one of our select little group as you will see if you read Kurt's story.

Pete.

13 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Jon, I'm sure you're probably aware... but just in case... there are surviving service records for John William Ballinger.

For those that took up this call for Gardeners and particularly those with children there is an interesting snippet here. The CWGC archive also has available to download (free) all the Annual Reports, these contain much information on the Horticultural Branch and some interestng facts. The following extract is taken from the report ending 31st March 1923 -

1751394084_yearending31-03-1923.jpg.4ff4a88119eaa2da834dbe9ed3788802.jpg

Wow, more fantastic information. I think my wife has John William Ballingers service records although the hand writing is difficult to read in places. 

The insight into the gardeners and their work really is eye opening. We're just hoovering all this information up and passing it on to our families. 

Again, thanks so much. 

Jon

13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Hi Jon,

I've been following your thread with interest as one of the little group of chums with an interest in the area. One of our number is @egbert, whose great uncle Kurt was killed in the same area a week before George on the other side of the wire. Kurt's story is here and has a lot of interesting photos and maps which Egbert has pieced together. I would also recommend following the link to Egbert's thread about his grandfather which is a classic piece of storytelling, and even made the 2014 Antiques Roadshow from Thiepval, it's that good. I also count our good friend @Sly who is our man on the spot as one of our select little group as you will see if you read Kurt's story.

Pete.

Pete, brilliant. I'm going to read through all of this. 

I've gone from knowing so little to so much in such a short space of time. What a great forum. 

3 minutes ago, Beaconjon said:

the hand writing is difficult to read in places

Jon, welcome to our world;  You are definitely a fully paid up member of the Gueudecourt gang now. If you look through the forum there are a lot of threads about interpreting handwriting, you are not alone.

Pete.

On 07/02/2021 at 20:42, Fattyowls said:

Jon, welcome to our world;  You are definitely a fully paid up member of the Gueudecourt gang now. If you look through the forum there are a lot of threads about interpreting handwriting, you are not alone.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. I feel quite humbled by all the help I've been given here. It's also interesting to know that other families who's relatives also died at that place, on that day are reading these threads too. 

Am I right in thinking this small snippet was at the beginning of what was later known as the battle of the Somme? 

Jon, it was known as the Battle of Ancre Heights (1st October - 11th November 1916) which indeed was part of the larger Battle of the Somme (1st July - 18th November 1916).

On 06/02/2021 at 20:07, PRC said:

Jon,

I take it you've already seen this from the edition of the Bexhill on Sea Obsever dated November 18, 1916.

171839743_Bexhill-on-SeaObserver18November1916p10PrivateMaillonsFatesourcedFMP.jpg.6f884f12507535a5b6668453c1bcd3f5.jpg

His mother continued to place In memoriam up until at least 1933. From the Bexhill on Sea Observer dated October 7, 1933.

1281078597_Bexhill-on-SeaObserver07October1933p6InmemoriamsourcedFMP.jpg.8a9931e231f8c596e837f9394530aaa7.jpg

(Both images courtesy of FindMyPast).

Oddly I can't see any family enquiry noted in the archives of the International Committee of the Red Cross, but they are not the easiest to search and mis-filing \ "quirky" filing is common.

Cheers,

Peter

Slightly better photo

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20210209-130759.jpg

His Mother placed this memorial notice in 1933.

It would be well worth the OP taking a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive...quite a lot of Maillon family articles in there.

Screenshot_20210209-131143.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Just now, sadbrewer said:

His Mother placed this memorial notice in 1933.

Screenshot_20210209-131143.jpg

Hi, yes I've seen this. I still have the original hand written letter for this in memoriam. 

Thanks

Jon

1 hour ago, Beaconjon said:

Hi, yes I've seen this. I still have the original hand written letter for this in memoriam. 

Thanks

Jon

Cissy also posted one in 1918.

On 09/02/2021 at 13:01, jay dubaya said:

Jon, it was known as the Battle of Ancre Heights (1st October - 11th November 1916) which indeed was part of the larger Battle of the Somme (1st July - 18th November 1916).

Are there any books that would be worth reading regarding these actions? 

Jon,

In the absence of George’s service record, Craig’s War Gratuity Calculator suggests an enlistment date on or shortly after 8th October 1915. I’ve just noted the dates on his medal roll entry which tie in nicely with events recorded in the battalion war diary. It would appear that he arrived as part of a draft of 167 men whilst the battalion were at Belle Eglise on 17th July 1916. He went into action on 3rd  and 4th August when the battalion successfully attacked Ration Trench and 4th Avenue which I believe was part of the Battle of Pozieres (23rd July to 3rd September). The medal roll dates may suggest he was wounded during or very shortly after the attack on Ration Trench and it may appear he returned to the battalion on 5th September.

Whilst there are several books about Pozieres I can’t think of one that is specifically of the Ancre Heights. Perhaps the bigger picture may be more suitable. I’d be happy to recommend ‘148 Days on the Somme’ Barry Cuttell which covers the Somme Battle from 2nd July, this is a great companion for field walking along with ‘The Somme – the day by day account’ Chris McCarthy. Also worth mentioning is the excellent ‘The Somme’ Peter Barton, although I would describe this is a tabletop book, it is full of modern and rarely seen contemporary panoramas over which the battles took place, the adjoining commentary is also first rate.

Jon

5 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Jon,

In the absence of George’s service record, Craig’s War Gratuity Calculator suggests an enlistment date on or shortly after 8th October 1915. I’ve just noted the dates on his medal roll entry which tie in nicely with events recorded in the battalion war diary. It would appear that he arrived as part of a draft of 167 men whilst the battalion were at Belle Eglise on 17th July 1916. He went into action on 3rd  and 4th August when the battalion successfully attacked Ration Trench and 4th Avenue which I believe was part of the Battle of Pozieres (23rd July to 3rd September). The medal roll dates may suggest he was wounded during or very shortly after the attack on Ration Trench and it may appear he returned to the battalion on 5th September.

Im amazed at what you are gleening for such little information. So do his medal records state various dates and what points to a possible injury?  

Again, loving your work. Thanks so much.

Edited by Beaconjon

74FB89D4-D61A-43F2-9795-93C0E35DF9B2.jpeg.318ea37bdde49f21f0cea34816e809b2.jpeg

1a indicates France and the period he was there. Since this is repeated with different dates it suggests a period of 1 month at home which in itself suggests he was wounded especially when we look at the end date of his first tour of duty and the events that happened at that time. 

34 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

74FB89D4-D61A-43F2-9795-93C0E35DF9B2.jpeg.318ea37bdde49f21f0cea34816e809b2.jpeg

1a indicates France and the period he was there. Since this is repeated with different dates it suggests a period of 1 month at home which in itself suggests he was wounded especially when we look at the end date of his first tour of duty and the events that happened at that time. 

Ah I see. That would make sense. 

Would his injury typically have been recorded in any form? 

It probably would have been in his soldier record that was destroyed in the Blitz. It might also be in the records of the medical service, but those were mostly destroyed between the wars.

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a while hasn't it. 

I've finally got round to booking a trip to France to visit George's grave.  It's not until September, but I will post a few photo's for sure.  I'm very much looking forward to tying all this info together.

I can only thank all those who have contributed and filled all the gaps.  I shall be raising a pint to you all, as well a George and his fallen comrades.

Cheers

Jon

• 2 months later...

Well I finally managed to visit George's grave. I'm so pleased to have found him at last. It was quite a poignant visit but it meant so much. 

Bathed in the September sun, we enjoyed the freedom these young men gave us, eating our bread and cheese nearby. 

Like so many other cemeteries in this area, it was literally in the middle of featureless fields. Guedecourt was over the rise not so far away, just a small village but I'm guessing it's elevated position made it valuable. 

Whilst there, I wondered if his parents ever had the chance to visit his grave, so many years ago. 

As far as I know, my line of the family are his only British relatives now. His family were French so we've got that avenue to explore yet.